Coolant leak

Professur

I've had a persistent coolant leak with the Transport for a while, now. Nothing visible, just a loss of fluid. I'm told it's from the intake manifold. A common thing where that engine's concerned. I'm tossing around the idea of using one of those stop-leak affairs that you pour in the rad. But the only experience I've had with those, was when Dad used on on the 1970 Nova. A few miles later, the rad blew out, leaving a hole bigger than my head. But that was decades ago. Surely the technology's better now.

Yes, I know I should get it fixed right. But the labour costs involved are prohibitive. So, with a 4000 mile vacation on the horizon, should I chance a stop leak? Or run with it, and just keep an eye on the fluid?

HomeLAN

I think I'd rune with it, and check my coolant at every piss stop (which, with the whole family, should be every 200 miles or less). Why risk a blown rad when some vigiliance deals with your issue? Just pack along some antifreeze.

unclehobart

How fast of a leak are we talking?

I drove with a coolant leak for the better part of a year. I just kept two cannisters of premix in the bed of the truck just in case. Keep the overflow topped off.

Mine was a wounded seam at the top of the radiator, so it wasn't an active weeping leak so much as it was a constant escape of superheated humid air... which took its toll in its own right.

Considering that you will be under a towing load that adds 'x' strain to the system going down into hot weather, perhaps you should get a professional opinion.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I believe the blowouts you speak of occur because the system isn't used to being under pressure, usually not maintained very well, etc.. I've used that stuff once in my old minivan, worked quite well.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
might be worth it to take it into the shop, especially if you know a guy. i had a big leak in my sable last winter (gallon per day), we took it in to the shop and the guy popped on his little pressure dohickey to find where it was coming from. 10 minutes and 20 bucks later i had no more leakage. mine was a sliced hose near the block and only leaked when i ran so i didn't see any mess on the driveway.

Stkshft

Mine was leaking for a while now, I just keep a jug of water in the car. No sence in wasting $8+ for a jug of antifreeze that is going to last you a week if that.

I used water for a few months, haven't had a problem. I just put 2 things of the stop leak shit in there, and it stoped it, and has held for about a week now.

if it starts leaking again I'm going back to the water.

chcr

Too cute for words
Okay, I wanted to wait until I got home. It's been awhile since I was in the parts biz, but K&W Block seal is the best if you follow all the steps (IMO, of course). It's almost as time consuming as taking the manifold off and replacing the gasket (assuming it is the gasket and not a crack). Not as much work, but there are several steps. I have only had it fail once when I've used it and that was on a cracked block (I have fixed a cracked block with it and the vehicle ran for at least six more years that I know of with no problems). The next best stopleak is Bars Leak, but I won't use it on anything I'm going to keep. Kinda gummy and chunky if you know what I mean, but it does stop leaks. One thing to be careful of, and I'm not trying to scare you or anything, is water in the oil. Anytime your dealing with a water leak in a head or intake manifold water has a gravity assisted path to the oil pan if it gets into an oil passage. If it hasn't yet, it probably won't, but check the oil every time you stop (I figure you probably do anyway). I assume you know what you're looking for. Hope this helps.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
catocom said:
Put about a tablespoon of ground black pepper in it. ;)

Raw egg whites work as well...as long as you place it in the radiator when the anti-freeze is hot.

catocom

The only thing about egg whites though,,,...
They are like the stop-leak, they can lock the thermostat and blow it.
If you take the thermostat out...then :thumbup:

Winky

Everyone realizes this thread has become silly.

I am currently replacing a totaled thermostat housing (18 years and 325,000 miles)
and recently finished changing the water pump on the other car.

Oh and Stickshift if you continue to run water
your cooling system will decompose (personal experience here Dood).

Prof did I read the beginning of this thread correctly?
You are going to embark on an international trip, with your family,
with a known coolant leak? (reevaluates Prof intelligence level).

Anyone that puts stop leak in a cooling system is dense.

Winky

This was the cause of a minor coolant leak!
It would only require a small amount of anti-freeze
to be added now and then. Actually it was certainly
about to blow!!!

A_4.JPG

A_5.JPG

Gee, would Stopleak have fixed this?

Winky

Oh Gee I replaced the leaking water pump and the
thermostat housing on the other car and had a persistent
"minor leak".
Doubt I'd have wanted to go 4K miles
with my most precious cargo, before I replaced this radiator Huh?

A_6.JPG

Professur

Wink, if it was a simple manifold change, I'd have done it myself already. But it's a multiport injection, bi level intake, most of which isn't accessible while the motor's still in the vehicle. A fully equiped garage is looking at 6 hours work. And at $70 an hour .... You do the math. I could afford it right now. But then I wouldn't need it for a Georgia trip anymore.