Coraline

IDLEchild

I am really puzzled. By all acounts I should love this movie. It's an artistic masterpiece. The story is original and creative. The art direction is an imginative marvel...

...so tell me why I almost fell asleep watching the movie. I even considered walking out (but I refuse to do that, I didn't even do it during The love guru...a movie which can be technically considered a torture practice under the Geneva convention treaties).

I just didn't enjoy the film and I can't figure out why. I was dying for it to be over. It's not even that it's a super cheesy kids film, nope, exact opposite. It has very, many dark elements. I just don't get it.

I still recommend it. The 3d aspect of it is cool and all and a definite study for art students (loved the cherry blossoms made out of popcorn) but I can't see myself getting this from netflix when it is released on DVD.

Professur

We were looking for a movie to take the kids to this weekend ... and I was advised that Coraline was definitely not for young kids.

BlurOfSerenity

i read the book, which is by neil gaiman, last year and LOVED it, so much that i a) actually finished it (no small feat, these days), and b) cried when it was over, because i was sad there wasn't any more :(
from the second i found out there was going to be a movie, i became very excited. and i began to suppose it would be different from the book. and it was... for example, a character that is very important in the movie isn't in the book at all. but i still loved it. i sat back in my seat in the movie theater in awe with my friends. we were like, "dude...!"
a lot of what i pay attention to in a movie is the cinematography, and this movie did not disappoint me at all. also, if i know a lot went into something, i tend to appreciate it more, and knowing that it was stop-motion, and having read some behind-the-scenes stuff since i started following neil gaiman's blog, it was fascinating to see what they'd done and have some idea how time consuming and involved the process was.
it was stunning. the music. the colors. and yes, the 3d helped, but i don't think it was even necessary. and it was SCARY. when i read the book, it put me on-edge at night. i'd look around me in the quiet alone-times. the movie didn't have that effect, lacking much of the looming eerieness present in the book, but it still had its terrifying moments... but also its cute, warmfuzzy moments.
generally, from anything, i tend to try not to expect very much, with the logic that if it is awesome, i'll be pleasantly surprised, but if it sucks, i won't be disappointed. but this time, i went into coraline expecting to love it, and i did.
i'm going to see it again wednesday, and i hope again after that.

neil has described his book as being "for strange little girls of all ages and genders" ... i'd say such folk would best appreciate the movie, as well..

spike

I got the GF the book for Christmas since she loves Neil Gaiman but for some reason couldn't bring herself to buy a kids book on her own. She loved it and I'm sure we'll be seeing the movie soon.