Crocodile Hunter dies from stingray sting

Professur

Just when I thought the human race couldn't sink any lower..

Irwin's Wikipedia page defaced

September 04, 2006 07:47pm
Article from: NEWS.com.au

INTERNET encyclopedia Wikipedia was forced to remove an offensive message posted on its entry for Steve Irwin within minutes of the Crocodile Hunter's death earlier today.

Within minutes of the news of Irwin's death breaking this afternoon, someone had written: "Steve Irwin's dead! LOLOLOLOLOL!" on the biography of the Australian icon.

The entry was quickly spotted and removed from the page.

Irwin, 44, died while filming off the coast of far north Queensland. He was stung by a stingray barb through the heart.

Emergency workers sent from Cairns pronounced him dead when they arrived on the scene less than an hour after he was struck.

Wikipedia is a free online encyclopedia open to web users to create and edit their own entries on a range of topics.

After removing the message from the Irwin entry this afternoon, Wikipedia closed it off to anonymous users.

"Due to recent vandalism, editing of this article by anonymous or newly registered users is temporarily disabled," the advisory at the top of the entry said.

Source

Professur

No, the leeches are the ones leaving flowers and teddybears. The vultures are the one's searching the internet for a bootleg copy of that vid.

spike

I heard today that there have only been 17 stingray deaths in recorded history. Really was a freak accident.

BB

I hopes ye ain't addressing that 'leaches' stuff at me ... t'was just the pic that made me think there and then of this bloke ...reminded me awfully of me god-daughter ...

more the expression than the looks per se ...

aye Spike ... but if ye tempt fate ...

spike

Ok so today this radio show playing clips of some of the stingray fear mongering that the media has taken up as a result of this.

One show was interviewing a doctor who actually said "if you're in a canoe or kayak you may think you're safe, but your not! A stingray stinger can right through the 1/4 inch of plywood on the bottom of one of these boats".

Yeah, I bet that happens all the time.

chcr

Too cute for words
Ok so today this radio show playing clips of some of the stingray fear mongering that the media has taken up as a result of this.

One show was interviewing a doctor who actually said "if you're in a canoe or kayak you may think you're safe, but your not! A stingray stinger can right through the 1/4 inch of plywood on the bottom of one of these boats".

Yeah, I bet that happens all the time.

The end is neer! :lol:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Now we know where he got his style & substance
Croc man's dad
nixes state funeral

BY BILL HUTCHINSON
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

The father of "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin mourned the loss of his "best mate ever" yesterday but declined the offer of a state funeral, saying it wouldn't be in keeping with his son's Outback style.
"The state funeral would be refused because he's an ordinary guy, he's just an ordinary bloke," said Bob Irwin, 66, who taught his son how to wrestle giant crocs.

"He was just like a guy in the street, and he had this ability to get through to people," he said. The Australia Broadcasting Corp. reported that Terri Irwin, Steve's wife, also had decided against a state funeral.

Steve Irwin, 44, was killed Monday in a stingray attack. The elder Irwin said he was proud that his son died doing what he loved.

"That's a lot better than getting hit by a bus," the father said.

"Steve knew the risks involved with the type of work he was doing, and he wouldn't have wanted it any other way," he said.

Bob Irwin said he often spoke to his son about the dangers of working in the wild, and they even joked about the risks.

"That's not to say we were careless, but we treated it like it was just part of the job ... nothing to worry about, really."

As tributes poured in, the head of one of Steve Irwin's wildlife charities warned that Internet scammers were trying to divert donations. Michael Hornby of Wildlife Warriors urged the public to be careful.

Standing by a makeshift memorial outside the Australia Zoo, the Queensland animal park the dad founded and his son took to new heights, Bob Irwin said he and Steve were more "good mates" than a traditional father and son.

"I'll remember Steve as my best mate ever," he said. "I'm a lucky, lucky guy that I've had the opportunity to have a son like Steve."

Originally published on September 7, 2006

NY Daily News

BB

State funeral?

does that mean the Queen has to go buy a new hat already?

hey, she's an old lady ... and are you guys paying fer the bleedin hat - eh?

sheesh ...

Professur

10 Stingrays Killed Since Irwin's Death

By MERAIAH FOLEY

Associated Press Writer

SYDNEY, Australia — At least 10 stingrays have been killed since "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin was fatally injured by one of the fish, an official said Tuesday, prompting a spokesman for the late TV star's animal charity to urge people not take revenge on the animals.

Irwin died last week after a stingray barb pierced his chest as he recorded a show off the Great Barrier Reef.

Stingray bodies since have been discovered on two beaches in Queensland state on Australia's eastern coast. Two were discovered Tuesday with their tails lopped off, state fisheries department official Wayne Sumpton said.

Sumpton said fishermen who inadvertently catch the diamond-shaped rays sometimes cut off their tails to avoid being stung, but the practice was uncommon. Stingrays often are caught in fishing nets by mistake and should be returned to the sea, Sumpton said.

Michael Hornby, the executive director of Irwin's Wildlife Warriors conservation group, said he was concerned the rays were being hunted and killed in retaliation for Irwin's death.

"It may be some sort of retribution, or it may be fear from certain individuals, or it just may be yet another callous act toward wildlife," he said.

He said killing stingrays was "not what Steve was about."

"We are disgusted and disappointed that people would take this sort of action to hurt wildlife," he said.

Stingrays are usually shy, unobtrusive fish that rummage the sea bottom for food or burrow into the sand.

They have a serrated spine up to 10 inches long on their tails, which they can lash when stepped on or otherwise frightened.

The spines emit toxins that can kill many small creatures and cause excruciating pain in humans. Few people have died from the poison, but the spines can badly tear flesh and the wounds are prone to infections, including tetanus.

Hornby said people should treat stingrays with caution, but "there is still no need to ... kill or mutilate these important animals."

Enter ..... the moron squad.

Source

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
whoever is doing it needs to get a life but this quote is equally stupid

yet another callous act toward wildlife

G'day mate, we're here to kill us some good criters...just because we can & they can't stop us. crikey.

Professur

'Crocodile Hunter' fan says he'll feed his son's placenta to goannas

BRISBANE, Australia (AP) - An Australian man who says "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin shaped his love for reptiles said Tuesday he plans to feed the placenta from the birth of his newborn son to his pet goannas, to bring his family closer to the giant lizards.

Wil Kemp, a reptile keeper at the Rockhampton Zoo in northeastern Queensland state, said his second son was born on Sept. 5, the day after a stingray killed Irwin as the famed TV conservationist filmed on the Great Barrier Reef.

Kemp and his fiance Kahila Pepper named the boy Tai Irwin - the former after the taipan snake and the latter after the television star.

Kemp said the couple planned to feed the placenta to their three pet goannas, which live in pits in the family's backyard, after a homecoming gathering on Sunday.

"I think we'll just break some beers, chuck it in and do it," said Kemp, 21.

The couple came up with the idea after nurses told them they could take the placenta - the organ that grows in the womb to be the interface for nutrients and blood between mother and fetus that comes out during childbirth - home if they wished.

Personal disposal of the placenta has become a trend, with some couples choosing to give it a symbolic burial and others, in rare cases, eating it in the belief it has health benefits or will strengthen family bonds.

"Me and Kahila got talking and thought 'well if they can eat it and plant it underneath trees, why can't we feed it to a reptile, and literally bring us closer to them?"' Kemp said. "I want him (Tai) to get into reptiles."

Goannas are carnivorous lizards that can grow to around two metres in length.

Kemp said he would be showing Irwin's television programs to Tai and his other son, 18-month-old Ramsay, and would be thrilled if they followed in Irwin's

Source

They just keep getting dumber.

Uki Chick

More and more women are keeping their placentas and eating them. A friend of mine kept hers and they ate it. She said it didn't taste funny, sort of like chicken or something. I thought I was going to *puke3*