damn email

POStech

Tell me if this makes sence.

I have 4 email accounts with Bell Canada.
The primary account has a storage capaity of 2GB anf the other three are 1GB each. My email is set up to delete off thier server once received.

Say Joe send me an email on one of my secondary accounts and the email is 1GB. My PC is off so it sits on their server. Julie then send me an email two hours later (say 1MB) and it gets bounced as I have reached my limit. That I understand.
What if my PC is on and I have it check for mail every 15min. It down loads Joe's email and deltes it off Bell's server. now Julie sends her 1MB email two hours later. do I get her email? according to Bell no cause I still have the 1GB email on my PC.
Is it just me or is that fucked up?

POStech

I was on a chat line with a Bell rep today and that's what they told me. 'cause the email is on my PC I can't receive any more emails until I delete it off of my PC.

woodman19_99

Wait, so you downloaded it, which means it should be off their servers, no? At that point, it seems they have no say over what you decide to do with the e-mail. How on earth does it affect them?

chcr

Too cute for words
Ask to speak to a supervisor. Of course, there's no guarantee they'll know any more than the folks you've already talked to, but ask them to explain to you how this affects them and more importantly, how their email server knows what is or isn't on your PC.

Big Brother is watching you. :eek:

POStech

I'm on the phone with bell right now and this guys says once it's off their server it all good. It desn't matter what's on my PC.

Now to go home and tell the wife she is WRONG!

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Is it just me or is that fucked up?

That's fucked up. If you are downloading the email via pop and the email client is set to delete messages on the server then your space usage after each download should be 0MB on their servers.

You probably talked to some stupid tech or to a wise tech thinking you are a stupid who doesn't know the difference between retrieving email and storing it in the PC and checking it through web.

nodnod

They are fucked up. What you may be looking at is the propagation time for the mail server to recognize the new empty space once the email is deleted. Or maybe it's a max attachment size issue. I haven't seen an isp allow an attachment size of 1gb before

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
cause the email is on my PC I can't receive any more emails until I delete it off of my PC.

That sound really stupid. If that is the case, ask them chcrs original question.

[edit-read teh rest of the thread. NM

BoP-I thought that 1GB video was strickly between us :(

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I know this has now been sorted...but to sum it up...Bell's customer support SUCKS ASS!

I've had Rogers try to pull the wool over my eyes before...but even though they're slimey atleast it means they have part of a brain...half of Bell's techs can't speak english and the other half know NOTHING about internet tech support.

A.B.Normal

Try Telus on for size then {pulls out The Trout and looks for a telus tech to smack}.

<--- okay ,there mascot F@ckin' rules ,but thats it.