Dawn of the Superworm

unclehobart

I don't know if anyone has seen this article before.. but I found it to be quite scary.
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,110014,00.asp

Dawn of the Superworm
The attack came swiftly and without warning. At 12:30 a.m. eastern standard time, January 25, a single packet of data containing the Slammer worm began spreading across the Internet. Within 10 minutes the worm reached 90 percent of the Net and infected more than 75,000 machines. At its peak 30 minutes later, it disrupted one out of five data packets. The result: service blackouts, canceled flights, and disabled ATMs.

Next time around, we might not be so lucky.

Slammer (also called Sapphire or SQL Hell) was a piece of code about the length of the first paragraph of this story. It created havoc but destroyed no data, and network managers could easily stop it by blocking a port or turning off an infected server, say security experts.

Like Nimda and Code Red before it, Slammer was probably just an experiment rather than a deliberate attempt to hobble the Internet, says Ryan McGee, product marketing director at McAfee Security in Santa Clara, California.

Nevertheless, all three experiments were "successes." And that success is likely to encourage cyberterrorists to build new "superworms" that blend the most potent features of proven worms, and to then use them against specific targets or even as weapons of cyberwar, analysts say.

"If this new era of worms plays out the same way other eras have, the next phase of development will be to see what they can do to damage computers, delete files, and steal personal information," McGee says. In fact, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security warns that terrorists may launch cyberattacks as well as physical ones.

A Zombie Army
Building such a superworm is not difficult, says Dan Ingevaldson, team leader for X-Force, the research-and-development arm of Internet Security Services in Atlanta.

"All you really need is to take an existing worm and mate it with a new head to create a new method of attack," he says.

Worse, hybrid worms could be stealthier than Slammer and its ilk. One could nest in millions of systems and lie dormant until activated for a distributed denial-of-service attack, bombarding a specified server with requests from those many infected systems, says Stuart Staniford, chief executive of Silicon Defense in Eureka, California.

"A worm can create millions of zombies, because it spreads so fast," Staniford says. "Sapphire made an enormous amount of noise." A worm that spread quickly and then deactivated would be tougher to combat, he notes.

Holey Software, Batman
Like most worms, Slammer attacked a vulnerability known to hackers and security wonks alike: a flaw in Microsoft SQL Server 2000, the database program used by hundreds of thousands of servers. ...(continued)...

Its a short article with a few links.

Had anyone known of this? I don't get the trade magazines or hover in programmer circles who would talk of it over the watercooler.

HeXp£Øi±

I hadn't. It's very interesting but as usual no surprise. Thousands in nations like Russia and China are working on these 24/7. My firewall told me i was being hit with code red the other night but i wonder if in actuality this was it. I thought something was strange. It's only a matter of time befiore we suffer a series of these serious attacks. We might even see it if we go to war with NK. You know it's going to happen some time.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I remember reading about it back when it happened. It's scary indeed, new security flaws are often found by the hackers rather than the AV or OS people.

HeXp£Øi±

Duh...oops.. I had to read it again. For some reason i thought the date said yesterday or something. I think as soon as i started reading it my brain found an answer it liked for the other nights attack and filled in the blanks on it's own. Must be careful not to do that in the future.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I think I recall a thread here on it. If I remember correctly, Mirlyn had some problems with it....

You know the past few days my bit torrent sites have been swamped, many are blaming the mpaa for some sorta worm, kinda makes you feel much better when someone hacks their fucking money hungry asses, next step should be to virus up all their servers :grumpy:

HomeLAN

I think I read about it when it happened. The scary shit is the possibility of dormant and unknown worms taking control and making your boxes zombies. You gotta know what your machines are doing.

octal

I'm still waiting for the multi-headed worm...a hydra...to sniff for encrypted digital footprints on a bank's mainframe ethernetwork.:buck: