Dedicated server.

Professur

fury said:
flavio said:
nowhere to host 100 megs
We could all have a place to host 100 megs if enough people would spring for a dedicated server.

Alright, let's lay the cards on the table. How much scratch are we talking about. Let's have the who, what, where, when, and how of it all.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The cheapest servers are at rackshack.net.

At the bare minimum:

http://www.rackshack.net/english/amd.asp

AMD Duron 1 ghz, 512mb RAM, 40gb hard drive and 400gb of bandwidth. $1 setup fee, $99/mo

However, with that kind of configuration, server performance may be pretty hard to keep at a reasonable level.

Ideally, one of these.

http://www.rackshack.net/english/hpp420.asp

P4 2.0, 512, 80gb, 400gb, $179 setup, $129/mo

However, with the cheapest servers also comes the lack of service.

We would also have to hire a Linux server admin which can range anywhere from free w/ hosting to hundreds of dollars an hour.

When is flexible. When just depends on when we get the money flow.

Professur

Y'know, has anyone thought to start their own ISP and host the place themselves? It should be fairly profitable for someone in a smaller population area.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
why can't you be the linux admin?, or is that because you have to "manage the server there" ?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
You can remotely administer it, but you have to know Linux in the first place. I don't.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
fury said:
You can remotely administer it, but you have to know Linux in the first place. I don't.

ohh, but that's something that can be easily solved ;)

tommyj27

Not really Banned
there's enough of us that know a little bit about linux, i spent the afternoon bringing up dhcp and dns on my gateway. i don't know that i'd trust myself building a secure server that offers services. my network is secure but it drops all incoming packets except for ssh

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Indeed, and Luis brought me up to speed on runlevels and what to do to optimize server performance (Thanks Luis :beerbang: )

So now all we need to figure out is how to get the $180 setup fee and $130/mo, eh? :retard6:

catocom

Professur said:
Y'know, has anyone thought to start their own ISP and host the place themselves? It should be fairly profitable for someone in a smaller population area.

The problem there is the bandwidth.
You'd need at least a T1, and that's about $1500/mo
around here.:(

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Not much more than dedicated...with which we could probably share a much bigger line.

Professur

catocom said:
Professur said:

The problem there is the bandwidth.
You'd need at least a T1, and that's about $1500/mo
around here.:(

Ja. But since you're an ISP, it stands to reason that you'd be selling some of that bandwidth and making enough to pay for it. No?

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
I now have everything in place as far as hardware goes. If we could get the host to colocate for us that would be awsome.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
samcurry said:
I now have everything in place as far as hardware goes.
What about software? Apache, PHP, MySQL, sshd, proftpd, all that good stuff? Does it have FreeBSD on it? :D

Wonder how much a WHM/Cpanel license would cost... we're likely gonna need that or something similar.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
all software is readily available. cpanel is the killer:

One year licenses are currently priced at $599.
Two year licenses are currently priced at $989
Three year licenses are currently priced at $1275.00.
One time licenses are currently priced at $1400.00