Dedicated server.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
On a semi-dedicated server with Insider Hosting, we'd still be one of (you'd better sit down for this) 100some accounts on the server.

Despite their insistence we're causing the server no more load problems than the other 224 accounts, I still would feel better to have our own server.

Q

fury said:
Despite their insistence we're causing the server no more load problems than the other 224 accounts
....how 'bout that??
....my bullshit-o-meter just went into overdrive when I read that. :eek6:

Arris

octal said:
octal said:
fury said:
You can remotely administer it, but you have to know Linux in the first place. I don't.

Talk to myself and/or Tommyj if you need us.

P.S. It's the only thing we believe in anymore.

The only thing you believe in is talking to yourself or Tommyj... Geez... sorta limits your social circle doesn't it.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
It's all Dial-ups fault. In fact, I bet the Dial-ups users are slowing the rest of us down now. :hmm:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
It's all Dial-ups fault. In fact, I bet the Dial-up users are slowing the rest of us down now. :hmm:

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
PuterTutor said:
It's all Dial-ups fault. In fact, I bet the Dial-up users are slowing the rest of us down now. :hmm:

yeah, when the server detects a dialup it takes longer to generate the page :nuts2:

I wonder how the hell does it do that?, after all the page is generated right after sending the request and right before starting to download the page. [/sarcasm]

:D

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I figured the ping times would have something to do with it if slower connections at all raised the generation time, but that theory was shot down pretty quick by me testing it out on my local server. You'd figure a 0ms ping time would produce 0.0x second page generation times - nope.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
The reasoning about a relation between generation times and connection speed is flawed:

- Browser sends the server a page request.
- Server generates the page.
- Server sends the page to the browser.

Since these 3 steps are done in sequence, there's no chance that the server will take longer to generate the page if the "request was made slower" because it starts generating the page after the request has been completed in fact, the process of receiving the request is transparent to the web server because the TCP/IP protocol handles the traffic.

Now, it will neither take longer to generate if the page is being downloaded "slower" since it was already generated.

Seems that the Steve guy was either talking about something else or he has no idea about the meaning of "generation time".

Professur

Just FYI. The request doesn't get to the server from anyone's modem. The modem sends to the ISP, who sends it through a chain 'til it reaches the target. Replies usually don't even follow the same route as the request.

but you knew that already, didn't ya.