define computer speak?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I haven't sat and inventoried yet what is what, I was just too happy to have them :D
this one is a P3 so....can I?

I guess I could do it if it's compatible, and see if the bangs go away.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Thank you, all you guys. It's very great knowing I can come in here and ask and be able to completely trust the advice I get.

I just got to feelin' mushy about it. Anyway, thanks. :hug:

Professur

Leslie said:
Thank you, all you guys. It's very great knowing I can come in here and ask and be able to completely trust the advice I get.

I just got to feelin' mushy about it. Anyway, thanks. :hug:

What was it that P.T. Barnum used to say?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
on another board, someone could be setting me up to get zapped...or zap the system.
THAT is what I meant :p

Inkara1

This reminds me of the time when my computer was making a werid noise every time the hard drive would be accessed... then the noise stopped when I took the empty Dr Pepper cans off the top fot he case.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
This reminds me of the time when my computer was making a werid noise every time the hard drive would be accessed... then the noise stopped when I took the empty Dr Pepper cans off the top fot he case.

That qualifies as a funny otc moment... you must now post it in my thread

catocom

HomeLAN said:
If it's the PS, shut her down and replace it before you fire it back up. I'd hate for you to fry every single component inside your case, and if your PS is sounding like that, it's juicing up for a catastrophic failure.
yep, I've seen that happen twice before. Not pretty.
One got the psu of coarse, cpu, mem, hd, mobo, aaaand cdrw.
Nothing to salvage except a 3.5 fl drive, some cables, and the case.:disgust2:

PostCode

Major contributor!
Let's not forget a common yet not very often thought of thing....static discharge. By chance does your system sit on the carpet? Could be it's a grounding within the system itself and thus its being discharged safely enough. If it is sitting on carpet, then get it up and off it by using some wood or something (not conductive). Best to have it at least 6 or so inches of the carpet.

HomeLAN

Good thought. I keep all mine on a 3/4 slab of shelf board for that exact reason.

Well, that and water. My basement occasionally floods.

Inkara1

I've never thought of that. My current case, which I've had since 2001 (I've upgraded the power supply a couple times though) has only been on carpet and it hasn't given me any problems.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Unless the feet keep the tower far enough away from the floor you are still vulnerable to static, doesn't matter if the feet are conductive or not.

catocom

I always keep mine on the desktop, right next yo my monitor.
I've notice these new Dell workstations have built-in shielding though....

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I haven't done anything yet, my plans got delayed.

This week sometime. It's not on carpet, I'm on a new veneered some material or another (particleboard?) desk, which is sitting on hardwood floors.

I'm actually wondering about the home power supply at the moment because of something else. Something I haven't got this on is a power bar, so tomorrow a priority is digging one of those out and getting it on that.