Dell Motherboard Swap

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Ok, I've got the power supply issue resolved, it seems I own one of the few Dell systems that actually has a standard ATX power supply. Verified by voltage meters. :headbang:

One problem left. The wiring harness that comes from the front of the pc, for the power switch, LED's, etc. Anybody know where I can find a wiring schematic on those? I know I've seen one somewhere but I just can't remember where. Until then, I figure I'll just run two wires out the front of the case and touch em to start the computer. The wife should really love that. :rolleyes:

chcr

Too cute for words
alex said:
Those are usually labeled on the connectors, yours aren't?
Actually, we use some Dells at work, and I've never seen one that was labelled.
PuterTutor said:
Until then, I figure I'll just run two wires out the front of the case and touch em to start the computer. The wife should really love that.
Any solution that works is an adequate solution. My sister's ex e-machine had a regular ATX power supply duct taped to the top for a while (Red Green is my personal hero).

PT

alex said:

Yep, usually is the key word here, unless you're working with Dells. I'm getting less and less happy with them all the time. They seem to do everything they can to make sure you don't upgrade their computers. Fuckers.

The wires from the front panel don't come out individually, rather it goes into a small board attached to the front of the computer then uses a ribbon cable to attach to the motherboard. Wouldn't be so bad if I could figure out how to get the small board off and get the wires off of there, but they are soldered to the back of the board apparently, and I can't get to them. Or I can't yet, haven't put my drill to work on the rivets yet. :D

If all you're looking for is the power switch pins, just take a screwdriver with a wooden or plastic handle and start touching the bit to two pins at a time... when the computer turns on, you've found the power switch.

PT

Actually no, it's at home and I'm at work so I can't, but that's a good idea, I can do that with the ribbon cable too. Just try two at a time til it turns on. Thanks flurff.

alex

PuterTutor said:
alex said:

Yep, usually is the key word here, unless you're working with Dells. I'm getting less and less happy with them all the time. They seem to do everything they can to make sure you don't upgrade their computers. Fuckers.

Dell, Gateway, HP all do proprietary stuff. I would never buy one. I was a little curious about the title of this thread. Did you successfully install a standard mobo in a Dell case?

You'll get it eventually, did that with a compaq board too, managed to get the hdd, power and power on figured out from the ribbon cable, if its anything like it the main power wire will have a red or brown stripe on it, and the next wire (its usually on the end so theres no wires on either side, only one to the left or right) is the shorting wire.

alex

Good luck ;)

I've got a 32mb stick of ram (Kingston GTXPRO/32) that someone gave me that is proprietary to Dell Optiplex systems. Even so, I just can't bring myself to throw it away :rolleyes:

PT

Shit, I've still got some simms that won't fit anything in my junk drawer. I think they're 4mb sticks. :D

The color coding won't do anything, the ribbon is just solid grey, no stripes, no markings at all really except the date.

chcr

Too cute for words
alex said:
Did you successfully install a standard mobo in a Dell case?
I've done one in a Dell, one in a Gateway (if you look up "cheap bastard" in the dictionary, you can see my pic). A full ATX dropped right in to an old Dell Optiplex desktop case, the Gateway required some judicious Dremelling.

PT, I use a continuity tester. I thought I'd mentioned that in my previous post, but evidently if you look up "dumb bastard" in the dictionary you can see another pic of that "cheap bastard" guy.

Sometimes when there's no color coding or the color coding is not standard, I guess by the way the wire is crimped or bent... sometimes manufacturers will fasten the wire to the case somehow, to prevent airflow inhibition (as it's usually cramped in there already), and so the cable will not feel "right" going in any other way.

PT

Justintime said:
Is it still connected to the board? you can look on the pcb and trace which wires the power button circuits go to
Well, it was. Until last night when I pulled the old mb out. Guess I should have paid attention to what I was doing, huh?

chcr

Too cute for words
PuterTutor said:
Well, it was. Until last night when I pulled the old mb out. Guess I should have paid attention to what I was doing, huh?
What for?????