Detainees legally held

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday allowed the Bush administration to keep secret the names and other basic details about hundreds of foreigners detained after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

Without comment, the top court refused to hear an appeal by civil liberties and other groups challenging the secret arrests and detentions for violating the Freedom of Information Act and constitutional free-speech rights under the First Amendment.

Reuters

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Oh fuck. Here we go.

:disgust2:

BTW, if I just up and disappear, I'll probably be in Cuba with Squiggs.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Enjoy Cuba, where they aren't required to feed or water you when you disappear. In fact you aren't even alive after Cubans arrest you for terrorist activities.

PT

Well, I was actually hoping for at least a room in Guantanamo Bay, But I suppose you could be talking about there too.

chcr

Too cute for words
I worry about the potential for abuse on this one, but I can see the point of it.

MrBishop

Pray tell...what's the point of all this secrecy? Why keep the names of the people being held from the courts and the general populace? Why refuse to say why these people are being detained? Why keep secretive their treatment?

Some of these people have been held for over 2 years...they might as well be dead.
or...

are they already dead and Bush is covering up the mass graves?

I can see this causing more troubles for Americans and other nationals arrested in the Middle-East, or elsewhere for that matter. Remind me never to visit there...if I get arrested for any reason, I can just dissapear with full American sanctioned (by example) support.

Rose

Wow. I haven't anything to contribute on topic, really. But I just skimmed over Bish's post and read the "or ... are they already deady and Bush is covering up the mass graves?". Talk about stirring up some internal red-blooded American pride. How dare you insinuate that!

But, I know that wasn't the intent, Bish. I just wanted to share my gut reaction.

Ms Ann Thrope

*think I'll spend this afternoon investigating overseas jobs.... it's becoming more and more embarrassing daily to be a citizen of this country* :mad4:

MrBishop

Rose said:
Wow. I haven't anything to contribute on topic, really. But I just skimmed over Bish's post and read the "or ... are they already deady and Bush is covering up the mass graves?". Talk about stirring up some internal red-blooded American pride. How dare you insinuate that!

But, I know that wasn't the intent, Bish. I just wanted to share my gut reaction.

No worries...I wasn't insinuating that Americans have killed these people, but I understand Americans more than a great deal of other countries do.

Imagine what Iranians are thinking, or Iraquis, of Afghanis, or North Koreans, or ...

I dared bring it up because it's along the same path that other countries have gone in the past. First, you detain 'political' prisoners, you remove them from society, keep them away from their families, no lawyers, no charges laid...then you interrogate them, then you torture them, then they have to dissapear, then you're digging mass-graves.

Isn't that what Apartheid was all about?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
If they are never heard from again, I won't be suprised, america is capable of doing a lot, with public knowledge (Japanses camps during WW2) Imagine what it is doing behind this screen of secrecy.

PT

Yep Rose, it may sound horrid, but it's really not that far out there. As has been stated, there are no charges pending against these people, they are being held because of suspicions, basically. Now think about that, they could pick you up, put you in a cell, not tell anyone where you are, what you might have done, or when you will be seen again. That is NOT America. That is precisely why we became our own country, to keep this type of thing from happening.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
PuterTutor said:
Yep Rose, it may sound horrid, but it's really not that far out there. As has been stated, there are no charges pending against these people, they are being held because of suspicions, basically. Now think about that, they could pick you up, put you in a cell, not tell anyone where you are, what you might have done, or when you will be seen again. That is NOT America. That is precisely why we became our own country, to keep this type of thing from happening.

It is america now..Komrade

Rose

I'm not saying it's farfetched. And I think that's the scariest part. That's what quelched the initial reaction I had for the statement.

Scary, innit?

I think it's horrible to detain people without cause other than suspicion. Now, I'm all for the "shake 'em down" theory. But detaining, especially for any length of time, as well as being denied rights - that's just wrong.