digital cameras

Dave

i'm looking to buy a digital camera for around US$300.
i know nothing about them.
i'm guessing the higher the pixil count, the clearer the photo.
is the internal memory expandable, or do i just need to buy memory sticks?
do they all come with stands to download the pics? are they all USB or do they still make parallel (sic?) ports?
are there any features that i need to look for?
thanks for any advise.

Stop Laughing

I would also need advice, how good of a deal is this?

Sony Digital Camera 2.0 Megapixel 1.6" LCD View Screen $197

That's all the info given on the flyer I got. This sale is supposedly only during odd hours (9-11:30 AM) but with me having Monday off I might be able to get it. If not, any other suggestions?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Most cameras use either Compact Flash or Memory Sticks, both are small cards of non-volatile memory, you can buy as many as you like, however the camera can hold only
one card at a time.

The greater the pixel rating, the higher the quality of the photo. You might want to see the full specs and not only the resolution. Optical Zoom is always a plus, digital zoom is a piece of shit :D

You can download the pics via the USB cable, or with a card reader.

Luis G

Staff member
btw, don't expect TOO much of the pics you can take of the stars, those are not even comparable to the ones you see on magazines. ;)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I just got the Canon Powershot A40. Well, I don't HAVE it in my posession yet, my mom bought it for me for christmas, it's in her closet for the next month :(

Anyway, it was $400 CDN, it comes with a 8mb compact flash card, it has 2.0megapixels res, 3x optical zoom, 2.5x digital zoom and losta other stuff. Check out http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/a40-30/index.html for more info about the specific camera I got.

It seemed like the best deal to me when I compared features vs price (I did quite a bit of comparing). Also, my mom asked a professional photographer/videographer and he said that would definately recommend i go with a Canon of some sort.

Hope that is helpful to someone.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I am also getting a 128mb compact flash card (about $100 CDN) from some of my aunts for christmas

Aunty Em

Spot said:
i'm looking to buy a digital camera for around US$300.
i know nothing about them.
i'm guessing the higher the pixil count, the clearer the photo.
is the internal memory expandable, or do i just need to buy memory sticks?
do they all come with stands to download the pics? are they all USB or do they still make parallel (sic?) ports?
are there any features that i need to look for?
thanks for any advise.

You want at least 2.0 megapixels, higher if you can afford it and a zoom lens is good with a tft screen to see what you're taking. I need a new one but it will have to wait until I've upgraded the comp. I really want a camcorder.

Aunty Em

Nixy said:
I just got the Canon Powershot A40. Well, I don't HAVE it in my posession yet, my mom bought it for me for christmas, it's in her closet for the next month :(

Anyway, it was $400 CDN, it comes with a 8mb compact flash card, it has 2.0megapixels res, 3x optical zoom, 2.5x digital zoom and losta other stuff. Check out http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/a40-30/index.html for more info about the specific camera I got.

It seemed like the best deal to me when I compared features vs price (I did quite a bit of comparing). Also, my mom asked a professional photographer/videographer and he said that would definately recommend i go with a Canon of some sort.

Hope that is helpful to someone.

Nice! :) That must be sooooooooo frustrating though. :(

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I've got an older HP camera, it only takes up to 1.3 Megapixels, but those aren't bad for regular photos. My mother-in-law came over last weekend and we went and got her a 4.0 megapixel camera. The pictures look great, but they are freaking huge!!!(file size and actual size) I think for the average person a 1.3 or a 2.0 is sufficent, unless you plan on publishing the photos.

Aunty Em

PuterTutor said:
I've got an older HP camera, it only takes up to 1.3 Megapixels, but those aren't bad for regular photos. My mother-in-law came over last weekend and we went and got her a 4.0 megapixel camera. The pictures look great, but they are freaking huge!!!(file size and actual size) I think for the average person a 1.3 or a 2.0 is sufficent, unless you plan on publishing the photos.

Mines only a 1.3 at the moment, but I did buy it with a view to giving it to Katie when I get a new one. I just didn't see any point in shelling out for a more expensive one until I was a better photographer.

B

Bubba

get one that has usb, mine has a serial connector and is a pain

i have to unplug my modem when i want to upload pics to the comp

Luis G

Staff member
PuterTutor said:
The pictures look great, but they are freaking huge!!!(file size and actual size)

Actual size???
1.3MP should take images no bigger than 1280x960 (or similar resolution)
2.0MP are 1600x1200
3.0MP are 2048x1536

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Right, 1600 x 1200 is pretty freakin huge, unless you have a 21" monitor that you can set your screen resolution to that.

ris

PuterTutor said:
Right, 1600 x 1200 is pretty freakin huge, unless you have a 21" monitor that you can set your screen resolution to that.

hehehe, squeezed 1600x1200 into my 17". :D

owww....

Luis G

Staff member
i just take pics at 1280x960, i use 1600x1200 when i take pics of several people, or when i want more detail.

Dave

thanks for the info. now when i go talk to the salesperson, i wont sound like a total dip.