Dilbert comics

Scanty

Does anyone read them, or know of the author Scott Adams? He has also written a book called 'God's Debris' that circulated on the internet before it was forced into print by popularity. It's not a Dilbert book, it's something very different. Anyway, I received an email from Scott this morning, in reply to one I sent yesterday regarding the book. Can you believe it? I'm sorry, I'm SO chuffed right now. :D <-me

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I've heard that about him, that he actually answers his email by himself. Surprising in todays world indeed. I love the Dilbert books, have to keep an eye open for the other book.

greenfreak

Wow, that's pretty cool! I get Dilbert cartoons in my email every day and I had a desk calendar for a while too. I have a bunch of the cartoons posted on a board next to my desk and email them to my co-workers every once in a while.

So what's the book about? If it's all about religion and stuff, I probably wouldn't be interested but I'd be willing to give it a try if it's by him.

Scanty

:D It's not about religion. I wouldn't haven't been much interested if it was either.

It is a thought experiment. Hard to explain. It's something quite apart from most literature. It's very short, you could read it in a matter of hours if you wanted.

Here, i'll write out some of the introduction:

This is not a DIlbert book. It contains no humor. I call it a 132-page thought experiment wrapped in a fictional story.

God's Debris doesn't fit into normal publishing cubby-holes. There is even disagreement about whether the material is fiction or non-fiction.

The story contains no violence, no sexual content, and no offensive language. But the ideas expressed by the characters are innapropriate for young minds.

The target audience for God's Debris is people who who enjoy having their brains spun around inside their skulls. After a certain age most people are uncomfortable with new ideas. That certain age varies by person...if you're over fifty-five (mentally) you probably won't enjoy this thought experiment. If you're twenty-three, your odds of liking it are very good.
If you think you would be offended by a fictional character's untraditional view of God, please don't read this.

The central character in God's Debris knows everything. Literally everything. The description of reality isn't true, as far as I know, but it's oddly compelling. Therein lies the thought experiment: try to figure out what's wrong with the simplest explanation.

For maximum enjoyment, share God's Debris with a smart friend and then discuss it while enjoying a tasty beverage.

You can probably find it online quite easily. :)

whoreable

I also had a brush with fame when i received an email replay from none other than Matt Walsh!

here it is:

thanks for the heads up, I am looking into it.
matt

PT

whoreable said:
I also had a brush with fame when i received an email replay from none other than Matt Walsh!

here it is:

thanks for the heads up, I am looking into it.
matt

Black Viper(www.blackviper.com) answered me once. Said something about a restraining order, and never contacting him again. Really made me feel special. :D

PT

On a more serious note though, I did recieve a reply from Vinton Cerf a couple years ago. I emailed him with some questions about the creation of the Internet, and he replied with a very lenghty email that really helped the term paper I was working on come together.

MrBishop

My brush with fame

I've met a few 'stars' from ym work in the hotel biz...I once had the entire brat pack staying at my hotel for over 2 months...before they were really famous, they filmed in Montreal, at McGill university, the film (Flatliners)...You might recognize some of the names. :)

0800177789.01._PE10_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Five medical students, Nelson Wright (Kiefer Sutherland), Rachel (Julia Roberts), Joe Hurley (William Baldwin), David Labraccio (Kevin Bacon), and Randy Steckle (Oliver Platt)

Via e-mail, the only celeb that I was in any contact with was RuPaul

Yes...THAT RuPaul. I was doing an Obit, we needed someone famous and I decided to ask permission. We exchanged 5 emails, with him/her not wanting me to do it on him/her and me convincing him/her otherwise.
Nice guy!!

Scanty

Re: If you're interested in reading it.

I purposely didn't put that link up because I didn't think it'd agree with the AUP.

MrBishop

It's a nice book, and one that my priest would probably either choke on or laugh at...he makes a few exagerated guesses, but does mae some points. I'd like to see him write it and present it as a thesis instead of a novella. That'd be interesting.

Scanty

Hm...I wouldn't really call them guesses. He's not trying to make a close estimate as to the true nature of reality, but then the copy on the internet doesn't include the introduction Adams wrote for the published version. In it, he's quite adamant about that point.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Scanty said:

One of the examples he used in the novella. I took it to mean that we, as people, don't notice anything until it is brought to our attention. ;)

flavio

Banned
Anyone watch the Dilbert Cartoon on TV? It kinda weird when there's voices put to the characters.