DirecTV and TiVO rock.

HomeLAN

So, after 4 years, my DirecTV Tivo unit downstairs finally took a shit. DirecTV replaced it, free. The replacement has a blown card reader, so they sent me another. A 70 hour unit instead of 40. Next day air.

I think it's safe to say, I won't be switching anytime soon.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Of course its free. You're now subject to pop-ups from TIVO. This smartassed remark brought to you by Phillips.

unclehobart

You mean customer service and loyalty rewards actually exist in the corporate world? I'm going to have to down a bottle of vodka to let that one settle in.

HomeLAN

unclehobart said:
You mean customer service and loyalty rewards actually exist in the corporate world? I'm going to have to down a bottle of vodka to let that one settle in.

Hey, this leaves me with a (slightly questionable) 40 gig HD, just when you need a new one....

HomeLAN

Wouldn't do it anyway. It's a slight possibilty that a failing HD did this.

Slight enough that I pulled the drive anyway, but I wouldn't do that to you.

HomeLAN

We'll attempt to Ghost. If that doesn't work, we'll attempt to hook 'er up as a slave. If that fails, he's fucked.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
HomeLAN said:
We'll attempt to Ghost. If that doesn't work, we'll attempt to hook 'er up as a slave. If that fails, he's fucked.

Not really. There are some places that do data recovery that will get back up to 90% of anything 'lost'. They can be spendy, though...

unclehobart

I can't think of much that is super important on it other than digicam photos and my email. Everything else I can *eventually* rebuild.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
unclehobart said:
I can't think of much that is super important on it other than digicam photos and my email. Everything else I can *eventually* rebuild.

Speaking of which...*makes a note to burn every digicam pic she's taken in the last over 2 years when she gets back to hamilton incase of a HD failure*

HomeLAN

Gato_Solo said:
Not really. There are some places that do data recovery that will get back up to 90% of anything 'lost'. They can be spendy, though...

They're usually damned spendy - with no guarantee of success. Cash up front, please.

I don't think his pr0n collection was big enough to warrant that. :D

HomeLAN

I've recommended that he install and use for backup a CD-RW twice that I'm sure I remember. Since he fried 2 of those, he's refused to buy another.