Do Gay parents influence their children towards homosexuality?

Do gay parents influence their children towards a homosexual lifestyle?

• No, you can't be brought up gay.

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • No, but the child might be more accepting of gays

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Yes, The kid is more likely to become gay

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Don't know one way or the other

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrBishop

The fear about gay-adoption is that a gay family will have an undue influence on their child (conscious or unconscious) towards the gay lifestyle and thus turn them gay.

Based on what is known about homosexuality, I would have to say that a gay couple has no influence on the sexuality of their child (biological or adopted), and more than gay teachers turn out gay students, or gay priests teach to gay parishioners.

Most homosexuals do not come from homosexual, but heterosexual parents. Most do not come from broken homes or the poor. They come from all of the social and economic castes equally...therefore, neither money, family, or social placing has anything to do with wether a person becomes gay or straight.

What do you think?

markjs

Banned
NO! But I think the child will most likely be more accepting of gays. If not maybe the child would rebel and become a gay hater.... I mean republican.

drkavnger99

Thinking about the subject a little more with some input from ppl I respect I dont' think a parent can bring a child up gay. Now with that said I think that child would have a very hard time in the current system especially with how other children would treat them "BECAUSE" of the biais of their parents and or role models!
Also I have a question to anyone who knows/is a homosexual (gay or lesbian) and thinks that heterosexuals are wrong? I don't think there is but these are the types I'd worry about only!

MrBishop

drkavnger99 said:
Thinking about the subject a little more with some input from ppl I respect I dont' think a parent can bring a child up gay. Now with that said I think that child would have a very hard time in the current system especially with how other children would treat them "BECAUSE" of the biais of their parents and or role models!
Also I have a question to anyone who knows/is a homosexual (gay or lesbian) and thinks that heterosexuals are wrong? I don't think there is but these are the types I'd worry about only!

There is a couple that comes to my annual BBQ. They're lovely ladies and the shorter of the two has a son. He's 27 now, but was only about 2 when his mom divorced and became a couple with her life-partner. They've been together for 25 years now...he has literally grown up with gay parents. I talk with him occasionally as we're both graphic designers. He's about as well-rounded and well-balanced an individual as you're likely to meet. I've asked him before and he's faced no more childhood idiocies than the average child, and less so that children from mixed-couples (racial).

It's true that people are often judged by the company that they keep...or rather guilt-by-association...and I don't think that it's a stretch to say that this happens or a regular basis... but then again, so does sexism and racism.

I tend to equate homophobia with those two other isms.

markjs

Banned
I have a kid in my family with lesbian parents. He is ok so far. I'll let you know how it wen't in about 11 years.

drkavnger99

MrBishop said:
There is a couple that comes to my annual BBQ. They're lovely ladies and the shorter of the two has a son. He's 27 now, but was only about 2 when his mom divorced and became a couple with her life-partner. They've been together for 25 years now...he has literally grown up with gay parents. I talk with him occasionally as we're both graphic designers. He's about as well-rounded and well-balanced an individual as you're likely to meet. I've asked him before and he's faced no more childhood idiocies than the average child, and less so that children from mixed-couples (racial).

It's true that people are often judged by the company that they keep...or rather guilt-by-association...and I don't think that it's a stretch to say that this happens or a regular basis... but then again, so does sexism and racism.

I tend to equate homophobia with those two other isms.

Thanks again! I'm glad to hear that about him. I just know how most kids in my hs would have treated him! Its sad there are not many places where you don't have to be judged every minute of the day!

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I don't think they influence them to become gay. I think they influence them to be more accepting of gay people, and more open minded about thier own sexuality. This may produce a higher percentage of gay children from gay couples, but only because they are going to be gay anyway, and don't have to face the shame of telling their parents that they are.

MrBishop

PuterTutor said:
I don't think they influence them to become gay. I think they influence them to be more accepting of gay people, and more open minded about thier own sexuality. This may produce a higher percentage of gay children from gay couples, but only because they are going to be gay anyway, and don't have to face the shame of telling their parents that they are.

Well said...BTW nice to see the old AV back

IDLEchild

PuterTutor said:

I agree also the very opposite can happen...ultimetly it depends on a lot of factors, no? sociolization influences, media criticism, a child's level of understanding etc etc.

freako104

not enough choices cause the kid can learn from enviroment but if it is biological the kid may or may not be gay. he/she can learn the lifestyle and accept it. but it doesnt mean the kid will be gay. there are several factors that go into the child growing up. enviroment and biological

Cheese

I'd read of a case where both parents were homosexual and had had sex changes, and the woman's(who was now a man) daughter also ended up making the decision to have a sex change and all.

So I guess having gay parents would certainly make one more acceptant of gays.

AlphaTroll

If gay parents = gay kids then surely heterosexual parents = heterosexual kids? Shame - someone should have told my uber straight parents....they only got 3 out of 4 that way, as per usual I have to be the fly in the ointment and swing both ways :rolleyes:

And if that were the case there would be no debate on whether or not gay marriage should be allowed, hell there wouldn't even be a topic to discuss in this thread.

I have many gay friends who have been couples for yonks and I know they weren't raised differently to me - the morals & values are intrinsicallly the same. One of the couples have children from previous marriages - the way they raise these kids aren't any different to what my straight friends do. I'm not sure you could put a sexual label on the way you raise children - they learn from their parents' behaviour etc. So a child from a gay union would probably not be more tolerant of homosexuality than a child from a heterosexual union of two people who are tolerant & respectful of other people's choices in life. Both will obviously be more open minded than a child out of a house where homosexuality is condemned.

Children learn a lot from their friends as well and I believe that more & more people who are having children these days are of a more tolerant generation anyway, so there will probably be less and less victimisation.

Mare

Tuff topic-born gay??? But don't think having 2 parents of the same sex would make a child become gay.
In our world today it would make it hard for them to be accepted by ppl, which is wrong...You know the old saying "kid's will be kid's", I'm sure its not easy for them growing up, but with the right structure, they will know how to handle a situation when it arrised.
The way I look at it is, if 2 ppl love each other and want a family, then so be it, should it have to matter what their sexual preference is???

freako104

i dont think its 100% biological and here is an argument i didnt see come up. That there are heterosexual parents whose kids turned out to be gay.

AlphaTroll

freako104 said:
i dont think its 100% biological and here is an argument i didnt see come up. That there are heterosexual parents whose kids turned out to be gay.

That is kinda what I was implying with this:

If gay parents = gay kids then surely heterosexual parents = heterosexual kids? Shame - someone should have told my uber straight parents....they only got 3 out of 4 that way, as per usual I have to be the fly in the ointment and swing both ways

And if that were the case there would be no debate on whether or not gay marriage should be allowed, hell there wouldn't even be a topic to discuss in this thread.

Thulsa Doom

Mare said:
The way I look at it is, if 2 ppl love each other and want a family, then so be it, should it have to matter what their sexual preference is???

It matters to the religious right. It threatens them..... somehow...