Do we have a moral obligation to help the 'less fortunate'?

catocom

much depends on who's doing the teaching, how long, and how receptive the learner is.
Many things learned are forgotten, or not considered by the teacher to be important in the interest of time.

IMO teaching has to include 'hands on'.

Altron

It depends on what the trade is... there are some trades that you might be able to learn just by doing, but there are others that you need lots of background and theory to be able to do. For instance, building bridges. You can't just build a bridge by watching someone else construct them. You need lots of mathematical and design skills, so you know how much tension the cables can handle, how much weight will be on the bridge, what the slope of the on-ramp must be for a car to drive on it, there's a lot of theory and math that must be learned ahead of time. Working on a bridge will teach you how to build one, but not how to design one that will be sturdy and safe.

catocom

in a trade there is another factor, and that is what level is considered proficient, sufficient...

I've always like working for small business mainly because I wanted to learn Every aspect of the business.

Some people and employers don't want you to do that though.

Leaning how to work on something, and how to make the the pieces with in,
are two different this.

Bigger projects need breaking down more than smaller ones.

valkyrie

Wow. I've heard of jumping to conclusions, but that takes it to whole new levels. Stargate levels even. Taking "Can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em" as an endorsement of abortion makes as much sense as taking someone saying "Bless you" to you when you sneeze as a marriage proposal.

I'm a proponent of "Keeping it in your pants" and "Think first".
There are those who had no choice.

Wow. I've heard of jumping to conclusions, but that takes it to whole new levels. Stargate levels even. Taking "Can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em" as an endorsement of abortion makes as much sense as taking someone saying "Bless you" to you when you sneeze as a marriage proposal.

I'm a proponent of "Keeping it in your pants" and "Think first".

Yeah sure, when have you known any teenage boy, faced with a really hot naked teenage girl that can do that? I'm not saying responsibility should not be taught, because by all means it should, but birth control has to be the other half of the equation. Sex is one of the strongest human instincts and desires. It can't just simply be denied by every teenage boy, or young man, because he was told so. It must have been a very long time since you were in high school, hasn't it?

And further, what the hell does any of the rest of this thread have to do with helping the less fortunate? It certainly is a prime example of being off topic anyway....

:lol2:

MrBishop

If the populace was anything other than sheep, we wouldn't be having this discussion, as they're be performing the Guardianship themselves and teaching those behind them to take over. The only ones learning that are the politicians.

I wouldn't say that we're sheep, or herd-animals of any type. Humans are more like a wolf-pack...a co-operative collective.

A herd mentality lives and thrives by multiplying faster than they are killed off, allowing both the strongest and the weakest to be preyed upon. The weakest fall behind, as do the injured and are taken out. The innovators and the defenders are also taken out, either in the defense of the herd or in trying to lead the herd where the majority refuse to follow. Both types get separated from the herd and are lost. Anything that makes a member of the herd stand out (positive or negative) brings the prey down upon their head.

In a pack mentality, anything that helps the pack is supported, whether that's coming to the defense of the pack, or finding more food, protecting the future generation or breeding stronger members. There's a hierarchy, but it's malleable. Anything that threatens any member of the pack, threatens the whole pack....and it's the pack that's more important than individual members thereof.

We protect our children because they're going to replace us, and it's in our best interest to teach them to make them stronger than us. We strive to improve our personal lot and the lot of the whole population because we understand that our future is only as strong as the weakest link.

We push our weakest members to get stronger, and it's in our best interest to help them get stronger. Humans do this by denigrating the weak...trying to embarrass them into doing better. We complain about Welfare, for instance. Pushing them 'for their own good' and for our own. Call people weak, lazy etc... We do this, not to harm them, but to make them stronger. We WANT them to succeed. We WANT them to be contributing members of our pack. We NEED them to be.

As such, we are morally obligated to help the 'less fortunate', because we are helping our pack (human beings) and thus, helping ourselves as individuals. We survive and thrive when we ALL work together.