Do you remember?

When K6-2's were da poormans chip and Pentium II's were top dog, and Celeron 300A's were all the rave? :D
Hehehe, first chip i had that realllllly flew was a PII 450, upgraded from a Pentium 266 (back then i did'nt get new hardware every damn week :D)
The first chip i had that actually played doom fast was a Pentium 133, upgraded that from a 486DX 2. After i got the PII 450, i could'nt afford anything more like it, so i got a few K6-2s and a 300A, which did around 500Mhz and absoultely killed the PII in performance :eek: gotta love full speed L2 cache eh? :D
God, i felt like top man then, PII 450, 160MB of SDRAM, 8GB hdd, Ati Rage or possibly a TnT or TnT 2 (i believe) Sounblaster card etc.. :D

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
My first "fast" computer was a K6 @200. Overclocked that bad boy up to 225 for awhile. Thought I was top shit then. Of course it had onboard 2mb Ati graphics, onboard sound, and a 56k winmodem in it too. Thought I would never fill the huge 4.3 Gig hard drive that came with it.

Sad thing is, that bad boy still runs here under my desk serving files off of that same 4.3 gig hard drive, along with an older 8 gig I picked up along the way.

Dave

do you remember...

punch cards?
big reel to reel mag tape backup?
an entire office building floor for the same power now on a desktop?

PT

Not in State Government. You'd be surprised how many businesses still sent thier data to us on those tapes. Guess it's all they've got. :shrug:

We are working on either sending it through the internet or sending it in on cd's though.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
:( I remember computers with vacuum tubes...When I was in eighth grade they got a computer to sing "Daisy" in a purly electronic voice. The computer they needed to do it filled a 20' by 40' room...But the air was clean back then and we didn't have to buy bottled water...Progress?

Anon_me

I remember writing documents and having to change each line using code coz there wasn't any word processing program :p

PT

Anon_me said:
I remember writing documents and having to change each line using code coz there wasn't any word processing program :p

You win. :eek:

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I remember when a 386DX was FAST, geez.......then those 486SX came, and boy those were just neat :D

s4 said:
i built my first 286 in 1990; it was a 12 mhz machine
heh, i think my first ever pc i really had was an 8086, which was prolly very old by the time i got it, but i was thinking of more recent memories :D
i remember my dos and win 3.1 days too :eek:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I remember when there was no monitor. Everything came out in print. The Hard Disk's were about 24" in diameter, and the platters themselves were what you changed. They usually came in stacks of 4 platters per drive and weighed upwards of 30 pounds. Printers were controlled with punched ribbons, and, as mentioned above, reel to reel was the storage medium of choice.

The computer? Xerox Sigma 9. ;)

S

s4

i had an old Tandy before i built the 286 in 1990. i think it was a T1000. it had a 20 mb hard drive and a green screen also was 40 cols. when i built the 286, i was so happy not to look at green letters anymore on the screen...upgraded to mono vga, 800x600.

Luis G

Staff member
Justintime said:
s4 said:
i built my first 286 in 1990; it was a 12 mhz machine
heh, i think my first ever pc i really had was an 8086, which was prolly very old by the time i got it

My very first puter was a commodore 16, it was just like a big keyboard and you needed to conect it to the TV, also, it had no shell and no disk drive, so you needed to write the code in BASIC in order to get it to work. And it was the old basic, the one with the numbered lines.

Luis G

Staff member
fury said:
first one I remember using was a 386sx 16... mmmm, 4mb ram...

:eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2:

I still remember when having a Pentium with 4MB or 8MB was just a luxury...and you had tha ammount on a 386sx :eek2:

PT

Justintime said:
PuterTutor said:
My first "fast" computer was a K6 @200. Overclocked that bad boy up to 225 for awhile.

wow, maybe that was norm, my K6 200 did 225MHz too!

Just the stock heatsink and fan, and that was when you had to change jumpers to overclock, what fun. I tried to run it at 300 once, it booted, made it to windows and froze. After that the highest it will boot at is 225.