Do you remember?

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
My first computer... an Adam by Colecovision. :)

It used cassette tapes for storage and programs. :headbang: I can remember playing Buck Rogers on it... at certain parts of the game it would just freeze the game and you'd hear the tape fast forwarding or rewinding to another part in the program. :rofl3:

Then I had a 286 8 MHz which I overclocked to 12 MHz. 50% overclock... not bad. In fact, that's my best to date. :(

AlladinSane

Luis G said:
... and quake 1 was just out of the question, the code was highly optimized for pentium processors.
Are you sure? I could swear I played Quake on the DX4100, with low detail, of course.

S

s4

my very first computer was an Atari 512ST. it was an impressive machine for 1987. the mono graphics were great, mine wouldn't do color. i was programming pascal on it back in 88. i used to call bbs's with a 1200 baud modem, this was before they had http, only ftp available to me in those days.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Those days when i used to play doom with a friend using an old 14.4kbps modem.

Those days when benchmarks were all about how many fps at 1024x768x24 a puter would display using an AVI encoded with cinepak codec.....Tseng Labs and Matrox used to be the kings.

The days that 1GB was just too much, and having a sound blaster 16 or awe32 was the best.

And windows95 (chicago) was still a beta, and you had to use win32s extensions for win 3.11 for workgroups, and install a buggy and independent MPEG decoder.

Even thou, i remember i never had a driver issue, nor lookups, and i hardly had a BSOD, well, only with the buggy MPEG decoder.

Using smartdrv to improve performance and mscdex in order to have a letter assigned to the cd drive...

ohhhhh those were the days *nostalgic*

ipmoof

Didn't really get into PC stuff until I was about 16 (only got my first PC a year and a half ago).

Before that I did loads of hardcore sport, always got amazing grades, was very artistic/creative, captain of swimming and cricket teams, always a rep on commitees etc, an honours + scholarship student and also did shiteloads of music stuff with bands all around the country.

Now I am repeating the first year of uni having totally crashed and burned out of last last year with all kinds of weird problems and a permanent case of retarditis. :(

DOH.

:tardbang:

dutchmaster

my first puter was a TI something that I had to program

..and I used a celeron 300A as my primary machine until a few weeks ago. Had to take off the case cover and blow a desktop fan in to cool it while running at 500mhz. oh, and it had an SB 16 with taped cables to keep the connection in tact. finally bit the bullet and bought an xp2100 a few weeks ago.. pretty pathetic