Does anyone know anything about DivX?

Aunty Em

I've been wading through loads of literature about this format, but can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for.

Has anyone converted files to this format and do you know if you can convert ordinary .avi files into it? There's plenty on converting .mpegs but I can't find any info on this or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
i usually convert *.avi files to *mpg using TMPGEnc...and then use FlaskMPG to convert the *mpg to a divx format...

there must be an easier way, but i haven't looked into it enough to find a decent solution...maybe Justin knows...

Jeslek

Banned
VirtualDub... google for it. Open an AVI, go to Video menu and select DivX encoder... Go to audio menu and select mp3 encoder... And start. ;)

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
virtualdub converts as well? i thought the direct stream only worked when the file was already encoded :confuse3:

ipmoof

LL has is pretty much spot on. You can do that for most files save mp2/m2v which VD does not support ("VD" - lovely!).

I normally backup DVDs as 1.5-1.8GB DivX's with the original AC3 soundtrack. Like this...

Unlock DVD using PowerDVD.
Rip main sequence using SmartRipper.
Setup project and demux AC3 audio using DVD2AVI.
Frameserve as an avi with VFAPI in VirtualDub.
Scale and Crop with VirtualDub then encode with DivX 5.02, 2-pass, max psycho, 2-12 quant.
Remux AC3 with NanDub.

For DivX's to fit on one CD I normally demux the audio to a *.wav file and then encode that separately using WinLAME using LAME VBR @ ~100kbps. The video I do the same way as before except with a lower bitrate, of course.

Used TMPGEnc, Flask, EasyDivX etc all before and this method I have found produces consistently excellent results. You can get the filesizes to within +/-100kB of the target pretty easily and the backups look awesome.

Jeslek

Banned
FlaskMPG is good for MPG -&gt; DivX AVI

VirtualDub is good for any encoded AVI -&gt; DivX AVI

Aunty Em

Thanks

I've downloded the programmes and should get plenty of time to play with them this week as I'm taking some unpaid leave.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
This is the way i rip DVDs

smartripper
flask
i select 112kbps for sound
divx 3.11 fast motion, at 1200kbps, 80crispness
hq bicubic filter
720x480 output file
23fps (FILM), reconstruct progressive, deinterlace
highest priority, and youre done

i usually convert 2 cd avi files to one, by joining and either ripping the AC3 to mp3 or converting the present mp3 to 112 minimum and about 6-700kbs divx 4.11 or fast or low motion, sometimes i use xvid divx, i never use divx 5, bigger files less quality when dealing with avi files. Nandub is another good program, has a bitrate calculator that works in tandem with the bitrate encoder.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Justintime said:
i usually convert 2 cd avi files to one, by joining and either ripping the AC3 to mp3 or converting the present mp3 to 112 minimum and about 6-700kbs divx 4.11 or fast or low motion, sometimes i use xvid divx, i never use divx 5, bigger files less quality when dealing with avi files. Nandub is another good program, has a bitrate calculator that works in tandem with the bitrate encoder.
:blank: :p

Aunty Em

Jerrek said:
VirtualDub... google for it. Open an AVI, go to Video menu and select DivX encoder... Go to audio menu and select mp3 encoder... And start. ;)

What version of virtual dub are you using. I downloaded 1.4.13 (build 14328/release).

I can't find my way around it. :(