Drinking urine may not be good for your health.

HeXp£Øi±

Cameroon bans urine 'health drink'The Cameroon health minister has deemed it necessary to warn people that drinking urine may not be good for your health.

Urbain Olanguena Awono has even warned that those who advocate drinking urine risk prosecution.

He was moved to speak after a wave of interest in "urinotherapy".

Advocates are convinced that it can cure afflictions such as haemorrhoids, ulcers, infertility and even snake bites.

"Given the risks of toxicity associated in the short, medium and long term with ingesting urine, the health ministry advises against the consumption of urine and invites those who promote the practice to cease doing so forthwith or risk prosecution," Mr Awono said in a statement.

Best seller

But "urinotherapists" are sticking to their beliefs that a glass of urine a day keeps the doctor away.

"I used it to treat my haemorrhoids," Emile told Cameroon newspaper, Le Messager.

"Everyone uses it in secret. But you need to be brave," he said.

But not everyone has the necessary courage.

"I tried but I just couldn't," said G Gisele.

"For several years now, I haven't had a hair on my head, but since I started drinking my urine, it's started growing again - it's quite extraordinary," the French news agency, AFP, quoted an unnamed magistrate as saying.

Le Messager says that a book on "urinotherapy" published in Switzerland has become a best seller.

But others say it is part of Cameroon's traditional medicine.

"When my grandmother who is 80 was bitten by a snake in the fields, she drank her own urine. This slowed down the progress of the venom to her heart until she got to hospital," said Omer Otabela.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/2847557.stm

Professur

Oh, let them. Anyone stupid enough to put something back in their body after their body went through all that trouble to get rid of it in the first place deserves everything they've got coming.

unclehobart

You never know ... might pick up some nutrients on the second pass. You gotta keep tryin' till it comes out clear. :D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
*marks that in the more stupid shit you already knew but science has proven notebook*

Astaroth33

This is the same country whose Security Council vote the US was actively courting for the aborted resolution in the UN...

madrin

I heard that guy on the BBC world Service (radio) and he claimed you could cure damn near anything by drinking your own urine...

it was hilarious....one of the things he said was that the reason biblical characters lived so long in the beginning is because they drank their urine ...among other ridiculous assertions that no one could possibly prove...

...a good laugh for the day, it was...

MADrin

flavio

Banned
Astaroth33 said:
This is the same country whose Security Council vote the US was actively courting for the aborted resolution in the UN...

Really looking for anything huh? That's a stretch trying to make some fringe health practice into a political statement.

This goes on plenty in the U.S. too. I heard a little about it on the radio once. There's some other strange ideas that go along with, but I can't remember the details right now.

I don't have time to look around right now, but I bet there's a couple books on Amazon about it.

kuulani

*piss3* *puke*

.. but if you're ever at the beach and step on an urchin, you have to pee on yourself to make it better.

HeXp£Øi±

Interesting factoid: You can survive for a time by drinking someone elses urine but not by drinking your own. Many a trapped minor has resorted to this.

lacemyster

HeXp£Øi± said:
Cameroon bans urine 'health drink'The Cameroon health minister has deemed it necessary to warn people that drinking urine may not be good for your health.

Why would anybody drink urine in the first place? :confuse3:

kuulani

HeXp£Øi± said:
Interesting factoid: You can survive for a time by drinking someone elses urine but not by drinking your own. Many a trapped minor has resorted to this.

eew. i would just die of thirst.