Earth:The newest Star

Winky

OK Algore is an idiot so I suppose there isn’t a problem
understanding how Americans that are idiots would believe him.
The problem comes in when the rest of us let this crap go on.
Crap on Trade during a depression? Sheer lunacy!
We should go all the way in the other direction!
Lift all the bans on pollution! Seriously.
Gimme cheap energy! Burn baby Burn!

Several million degrees What a putz.

spike

Al Gore is a smart guy. There just happens to be a lot of idiots that against all logic want to believe that billions of people spewing pollution have no effect on the earth. They don't like the idea of responsibility for their actions throw tantrums about it.

catocom

:rofl2:, I think al has been having nightmares about going to hell, and got it mixed up with the climate.

ResearchMonkey

I like the idea that we now have metals that can drill right though magma.

It must be said that if we steal the energy from the center of the earth, won't that have some affect on our living planet? Maybe even kill it?

Winky

with liquid hot magma

His comments are so fantastically idiotic that they defy description.
Therefore anyone who believes the crap he spews is beneath contempt.
I can not even begin to fathom the depths of this man’s stupidity.
It’s a veritable black hole of stupid.
And to think they ran that stupid rat bastard for President?!?
I mean C’Mon that fact that it was even close shows
that half of the people in this country are too stupid to live!
Kill em and put their kids in them FEMA camps ;)

Release the Sharks!

spike

Re: with liquid hot magma

And to think they ran that stupid rat bastard for President?!?
I mean C’Mon that fact that it was even close shows
that half of the people in this country are too stupid to live!
Kill em and put their kids in them FEMA camps ;)

Yep and we ended up with a guy far far stupider than Gore could ever hope to be. Yep, half the country is stupid. THey got a little smarter last time around.

Winky

Earth's newest Star Osammie!

Yup this ‘last time around’ is the best yet
a peanut farmer
an adulterer
now a Kenyan Muslim Communist
you guys are just going from strength to strength
what WILL you do for an encore?

jimpeel

The man is a fuckin' idiot. He obviously knows absolutely nothing about geothermal energy nor of the problems that are entailed by its use.

Geothermal fluids contain dissolved gases, mainly carbon dioxide (CO2) and hydrogen sulfide (H2S), small amounts of ammonia, hydrogen, nitrogen, methane and radon, and minor quantities of volatile species of boron, arsenic, and mercury.

• Geothermal energy is not "relatively new" as it has been explored since early in the last century. The first geothermal electric power plant was built in the 1920s.
  • The Earth's core is ~7,000 degrees, not "several million degrees" which would rival the temperature of the interior of the Sun.
  • I particularly loved the part about how we have a "35,000 year supply of energy from geothermal" as though the Earth's mantle and core will cool if we inject water into the crust to make steam. The heat generated -- yes, generated -- in the Earth's interior is caused by the great pressure exerted on it by the mass of the Earth. That pressure will never stop.
  • "Two kilometers, or so, down ..." is about 1.2 miles and would not be "deeper than we've drilled before". The Kola Superdeep Borehole reached 40,230 ft. The temperature at that depth was 180 °C (356 °F) hardly enough to harm a drill bit which would "melt in that heat". Hell, my oven in my stove can operate at 500 °F without melting.

He really thinks that we can cool this?

ExplorEarthPoster.jpg

Winky

Gaia theory is a load of bollocks

Yes if his level of stupid had any value we
could use it to retire the Public Debt in one fell swoop!

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
A couple of KM down. Alright, given that, are we re-solidifying oil from the plasma it has vaporized into? Only 35,000 years? I thought we were gonna die tomorrow if we didn't pay carbon credits.

spike

I thought we were gonna die tomorrow if we didn't pay carbon credits.

I've never heard anyone say that. But geothermal is certainly a good option for an alternative energy source. I especially like the idea for home heating and cooling.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I've never heard anyone say that. But geothermal is certainly a good option for an alternative energy source. I especially like the idea for home heating and cooling.

Me too. It won't take long to heat your home when, only a couple of KM down, it's a bazillion degrees. Hurry though, it'll only last 35,000 years.

Although, considering that, from just a few feet down, the temperature is a constant 55°, how does that heat those in LA? Phoenix? Bakersfield? San Diego?
Hell, 55° barely heats my house in Ft Wayne where -20° is not unheard of.

Winky

Algore, Earth's black hole of stupid

Geo-thermal and solar are silly just like Algore
(who by the way invented the internet)
Today there are two ways to make electricity
(and for the foreseeable future)
coal and nuclear.

Build the Nuke plants Dammit!