Electronics Stores

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
So, I'm going to be traveling through the states over New Years and plan to buy a TV when I'm there (26" LCD likely). I need to know what the electronics stores with the best prices are. Thx

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Best Buy is one of the few left (outside small boutique shops)

Inkara1

For the best price, Wal-Mart is usually worth a look. Other places tend to have better customer service, though. I do like how Best Buy usually has display models out but the products in the boxes right near the display models so you can compare, pick one, grab it and go pay for it without having to wait for someone to retrieve it from the back.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I'm not too worried about service. I'd like to be able to see the TV in operation to compare models and I want a good price. Walmarts here have their TVs on display typically, is that not the case there?

Winky

Virtual Electronics Store

Yup Best Buy, Fry’s Electronics, Wal-Mart.
Then order it from NewEgg? ;)

Inkara1

They have the TVs on display at Wal-Mart but they don't always do the best job of hooking them up in the store, and kids like to mess with the settings, so you end up with high-dollar HDTVs with snowy pictures that are too dark or too purple or something.

But what I was saying is that the number of TVs sitting there in the box you can actually grab and go with is limited. For a lot of the TVs, you have to wait for an associate to go get a TV in the box for you, and sometimes waiting for an associate in Wal-Mart can be a little while.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
They have the TVs on display at Wal-Mart but they don't always do the best job of hooking them up in the store, and kids like to mess with the settings, so you end up with high-dollar HDTVs with snowy pictures that are too dark or too purple or something.

But what I was saying is that the number of TVs sitting there in the box you can actually grab and go with is limited. For a lot of the TVs, you have to wait for an associate to go get a TV in the box for you, and sometimes waiting for an associate in Wal-Mart can be a little while.

Yeah, I got what you were saying about the having to wait at Walmart. My point is, if it saves me significant coin then I don't care if I have to wait. As long as I can see what I'm buying before I buy it.

Inkara1

Isn't Montgomery Ward just an online store that bought the name after the real one went out of business?

Inkara1

Thing is, I can actually walk into a Sears tomorrow and buy a TV, or some Craftsman tools, while I can't walk into Montgomery Ward.

Winky

The thing is Sears went out of business about the same time as
Monkey Wards did, just nobody ever told them about it.

So when was the last time you bought something substantial from Sears?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Circuit City looks like the cheapest. Do they not have bricks and mortar stores anymore?

Inkara1

So when was the last time you bought something substantial from Sears?

Bought a microwave there for my parents' anniversary this summer. I also bought a fridge at Kmart last year (Kmart and sears are the same company now) and I bought a washer and dryer from there in 2006. Thing is, the only card I really have the room on these days to buy stuff is the Sears card.

Winky

Sears

I got my washer/dryer from Sears in 06 too, my Wife's Ma retired from Sears
in the late 80's and still gets an employee discount on purchases all these years later.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Keep in mind that it is likely the warranty will only be valid within the US.