ENOUGH!!!!

What action should be taken to stop the Real World from ruining the rest of OTC

• Lock the Real World until the New Year.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Place a limit of 5 posts per day in the Real World

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Make the Real World a subscription only, hidden forum.

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Leave it alone.

Votes: 14 51.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Professur

That it, I've fucking had it. I've seen half the membership, and many good friends walk out of here because of the the constant bickering between left and right, Bushist and Kerry-followers, etc. I've had enough.

This is a petition to the Owner of Off Topic Central to either close or restrict access to the Real World forum, until January 1st, 2007. It is my opinion that this board is being destroyed by the Real World and will have no future unless steps are taken to change the current trend of personal attacks and whining. I would ask all members who remember how this board was back before politics became the be-all and end-all to sign this and make your feelings on this known.

tonksy

I'll agree to that.
I have enough drama in my life without having to seek it out online via arguing with someone over the internet about politics and religion. If I wanted that I could just call my mother.

chcr

Too cute for words
Well, we obviously can't police ourselves, OTOH I enjoy the discourse sometimes. It's probably all the liberals fault though. ;) I voted five a day. Think through what you're going to say for a change. See if that helps.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I agree that it gets out of hand at times.

However, I stand by my philosophy. No one has ever placed a pistol to my forehead and forced me to click, type, or otherwise access anything on this or any other site. It's a choice. And I don't cotton to limiting choices available to adults just because someone else doesn't like it.

Rather than limiting access, why not eliminate troublemakers? Throwing the baby out with the bathwater never makes sense. Enforce the laws already on the books instead of writing more laws...seems simple enough.

TRW already has a warning label on it. Beyond that, it's like being offended by nudity after you walk into the strip joint.

MrBishop

Bickering is one thing... flaming and flame-baiting is quite another. We seem to have more of the latter lately.

Either moderate your posts or BE MODerated.

chcr

Too cute for words
BTW, I know it's been a while and a lot of folks won't remember, but this is kinda what happened at HWC. Maybe unc's way is best.

rrfield

i say 5 posts per day, 1 week ban (first offense, escalating there after) for any "leaking" of arguments into other forums.

MrBishop

Toss Unc to the wolves :)

I'd do it, but I'm busy enough moderating two boards..I don't think that I could manage a third.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Leave it alone. This is exactly the kind of attitude that prevails in the world today that most of us are upset about. If you don't like the area, stay out. It's surprisingly easy to do, and most of those who left, or cut back, did so of their own accord. They may blame it on TRW, but they chose to go there knowing full well that the topics there can get out of hand, and their views may be ridiculed. I am guilty of ridiculing topics myself, and have been on the receiving end of such ridicule. Limiting, closing, or hiding won't change anything because some people will be offended regardless of your viewpoints.

Starya

Leave it alone. This is exactly the kind of attitude that prevails in the world today that most of us are upset about. If you don't like the area, stay out. It's surprisingly easy to do, and most of those who left, or cut back, did so of their own accord. They may blame it on TRW, but they chose to go there knowing full well that the topics there can get out of hand, and their views may be ridiculed. I am guilty of ridiculing topics myself, and have been on the receiving end of such ridicule. Limiting, closing, or hiding won't change anything because some people will be offended regardless of your viewpoints.
I'm with Gato.

Wow, that doesn't happen often, does it?

Let's savour it:

I'm with Gato.

highwayman

I am with prof on this, I voted to shut the forum down untill after the first of the year to let people cool off. There have been troublemakers come and go the short time I have been here.

Subscription only on the RW is not the answer and am not in favor of a heavy hand in the moderating area for the reason that it can do just as much damage as not enough...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Subjects unsuitable for polite company. Politics, Religion, Abortion and other highly charged topics. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. However, it does get ugly. It can get personal. Don't say you weren't warned.

Don't like it, stay out.

Everytime the RW has slowed for any length of time, the entire site has come to a crashing halt.

Everytime people around here get uncomfortable, they want to ban someone. This time it's an entire forum. Politics and political discussions, which is what the news of the day boils down to, is subjective to OPINION. We all have them. We all should be able to freely & openly express them. Jackbooted thugs with iron fists supresss & discourage open debate. If you like that, go back to HWC & try to say something controversial.

Limiting the number of posts per day will discourage movemment within a thread since there may be a better one later & you'll be out of options since you used your 5 in the "Johnny Law-good or bad" thread.

If you want peace & harmony, go to PiL or Cats place. Birds of a feather gets boring. We need more libs around here. More discourse. More open & honest discussion. More subjects unsuitable for polite company. Politics, Religion, Abortion and other highly charged topics. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. However, it does get ugly. It can get personal. Don't say you weren't warned.

BeardofPants

It's been a problem for a while. :shrug: There are many here who are guilty of flame-baiting, and winding each other up. It just seems so... toxic... lately. And Gonz? When it gets to the point where you're doing it as well, well, somethings wrong.

Lock it down. Throw away the key. I miss my friendships on here. It just seems so.. hateful... lately. *I* feel hated by virtue of simply being left-wing. :shrug: