Explosion at NY oil refinery

greenfreak

Two workers were missing and one was seriously injured Friday after a barge exploded while unloading gasoline at a storage facility on Staten Island. By late morning, a huge fire had nearly burned itself out and “things are getting back to normal,” said New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/875562.asp?0cv=CB10

The pictures are insane. The barge sank; 110,000 barrels of unleaded gasoline in the bay.

HeXp£Øi±

From the pictures i saw the rising smoke over NY was like a haunting memory of times not yet forgotten.

_38860761_fire_203.jpg

greenfreak

Once again, that's the first thing everyone thought of. It was creepy because it's so close to two major bridges that link us to Staten Island and NJ. Without those bridges, I don't think there's any way to drive to NJ from Long Island without going through NYC.

Q, it's kinda near Long Beach geographically but with the way the wind is blowing, I don't think it will be a problem. The fire is out from what the Mayor was saying. I guess I'll figure it out when I drive home, see if I smell it.

Q

greenfreak said:
Q, it's kinda near Long Beach geographically but with the way the wind is blowing, I don't think it will be a problem. The fire is out from what the Mayor was saying. I guess I'll figure it out when I drive home, see if I smell it.
I was concerned about those fumes with your asthma...

greenfreak

I didn't smell a thing. My asthma only bothers me really when I exert myself or when I go from extreme heat to extreme cold. Other than that, it's not a problem really. But thanks for caring :)

Q

We gotta keep you in tip top shape, in case I run into any unforeseen gardening problems :D

greenfreak

Hey, fly me down, I'll be your garden consultant! :D

My pc bench area is starting to look like a jungle. We're calling it the garden instead of the pc bench. As in, "Where is that Dell computer?" "It's in the garden on the left."

I took pictures of my desk and of the bench the other day. Once I get the roll developed, I'll post them.

Q

How can I be sure you're not just coming down here to kill me....now that I know Boris' real name :D

You could be trying to lull me into a false sense of security....so you can kill me and take all my flowers...:bolt:

:D

greenfreak

Boris who?

;)

I would leave Boris home. He knows nothing about gardening. And I never wanted to kill you. Well, maybe once. But that was a while ago. ;)

You have much to learn grasshopper. I will show you the way. :D

greenfreak

You're lucky, you can grow them outside. Anything like that, I could only grow in the summer or keep inside in the winter.

That's what happened with my Canna lillies, I had them in containers during the summer but had to dig them up and store them over the winter. Thankfully, Spot took them off my hands. I couldn't bear to throw them away. :)

greenfreak

It was an open offer to anyone and Spot wanted them. We dealt mostly in PM after he expressed an interest. I dug them up, cut off the stalks, packed them in paper bags with peat moss and mailed them up to him.

If I have any other stuff that's mailable that I'm getting rid of, I'll post it again. I rotate the stuff that I grow seasonally so that I get experience with a bunch of plants.