Fahrenheit 9/11

markjs

Banned
I saw it and I am not going to bore you with details you'd get from seeing it yourself. What I will say is I doubt very few of the actual facts Moore brings to the table. I think he knew he had to be more serious about this work and he was.

He definately colored things to make Bush look worse than he is. He alluded to things that I am sure are not true about our president but I do not believe he did it with fudged facts.

All in all it was powerful and I think it will swing some voters for Kerry.

I think everyone should see it for two reasons. Firstly it does show a lot about the brave men and women of the armed forces and the sacrifices they have made to serve this country. Secondly I believe that if you are a conservative you need to see it either because it is your enemy.

So if you don't want to support Moore wait til it's out on cable but SEE IT!

PowerballWinner

I saw this non-fiction documentary movie. It was really good. My only complaints are were that Moore spent too much time showing what looked like a 1950s police drama clip in it and too little time showing Bush & Bath's lack of service record and that the language - the vulgar f word was used. I don't think he should have done that. I know people who were offended and I think the f word turned them off.

kuulani

My mom just saw it and told me I should go see it. As an avid Bush hater, I hope this does swing votes away from him.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Had Fat man called it a movie, it would have been ignored as the tripe it is. Documentary insists it is truthful.

markjs

Banned
There's more truth in that movie than comes out of the Bush whitehouse. But then you'll never know Gonz because you fear the truth that's brought to light in that fikm.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
NY Post
The Fox News Channel played a major role in Bush's victory in Florida:
  • The film shows CBS and CNN calling Florida for Gore, followed by a voiceover uttering, "Then something called the Fox News Channel called the election in favor of the other guy."

First off, Moore leaves out the fact that Fox first called Florida for Gore — and didn't call it back until 2 a.m.

Indeed, all the networks, Fox included, helped Gore by calling the Florida polls as closed at 7 p.m. Eastern time — and quickly declaring a Democrat the winner of the state's U.S. Senate race, before also saying the state had gone to Gore.

In fact, polls in the 10 heavily Republican counties in the state's western panhandle, located in the Central time zone, were open until 8. But why bother trying to vote when a trusted newsman says the polls are closed and you've already lost?

After surveying voters, Democratic strategist Bob Beckel claimed that the early call cost Bush a net loss of up to 8,000 votes. Another survey conducted by John McLaughlin and Associates, a Republican polling company, put Bush's net loss at about 10,000 votes.

Under every scenario Gore would have won" the Florida vote if the U.S. Supreme Court hadn't stopped the count.
  • In making this claim, Moore chooses to ignore the most definitive post-election examinations of the ballots.

Two large news consortiums (USA Today and The Miami Herald headed one; the other included The New York Times) conducted massive recounts of Florida's ballots. Both reached very similar conclusions, and neither supported Moore's claim. To quote from the USA Today group's findings (May 11, 2001):

"Who would have won if Al Gore had gotten manual counts he requested in four counties? Answer: George W. Bush."

"Who would have won if the U.S. Supreme Court had not stopped the hand recount of undervotes, which are ballots that registered no machine-readable vote for president? Answer: Bush, under three of four standards."

"Who would have won if all disputed ballots — including those rejected by machines because they had more than one vote for president — had been recounted by hand? Answer: Bush, under the two most widely used standards; Gore, under the two least used."

Unless all these news organizations are part of Moore's vast rightwing conspiracy, his claim that the U.S. Supreme Court's reversal of the Florida Supreme Court's decision cost Gore the election is based only upon his own wishes, not facts.

Florida Gov. Jeb Bush stole the election for his brother by removing African-American voters, who were likely to vote for Gore, from the rolls.
  • Again, Moore ignores documented fact.

Some background: Florida bans felons from voting (unless they've been granted clemency). Before the 2000 vote, the state hired Database Technologies to purge rolls of felons and dead people. Some non-felons were erroneously removed from the rolls — but the errors didn't "target" minorities.

The liberal-leaning Palm Beach Post found that "a review of state records, internal e-mails of [Database Technologies] employees and testimony before the civil rights commission and an elections task force showed no evidence that minorities were specifically targeted."

The law against felon voting does have a racial impact, since African-Americans make up the greatest share of felons (nearly 49 percent felons convicted in Florida). But the application of that law in 2000 skewed somewhat the opposite way — whites were actually the most likely to be erroneously excluded.

The error rate was 9.9 percent for whites, 8.7 percent for Hispanics, and only a 5.1 percent for African-Americans.

Michael Moore has been honest in one regard: He freely admits he hopes his film helps defeat President Bush this fall. It's hard to find much else that he's been honest about, however — including calling "Fahrenheit 9/11" a documentary.

John R. Lott Jr. is a resident scholar and Brian Blase a research assistant at the American Enterprise Institute.

freako104

I enjoyed it although even I felt that some facts were exaggerated and such just to make Bush look bad

Inkara1

I seem to remember making a long speech on how hard I work for every dime I get, and how none of it will go to a man who is full of shit like that. Same deal for why I won't be renting or buying the DVD.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
When I get a non-commercial copy I'll be glad to view this piece of tripe.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Since Mr Moore has made it clear he has no qualms with file-sharing his product, we may have to work something out :D