Fake hackers beat Homeland Security

Professur

If they had been real, we would have been toast

By Nick Farrell: Thursday 14 September 2006, 06:44
A REPORT into a huge Homeland Security exercise to test to see if the US is ready for a large scale cyber attack has revealed that the country can’t handle cyber terrorism.

The exercise, which was held in February, revealed huge gaps in the way that government agencies and companies handled such attacks.

The hackers managed to infiltrate computer servers, crash the Federal Aviation Administration's control system, deface newspaper Web sites and threaten power outages.

The report, made public yesterday, said that responders could not work out if the series of simulated hackings were isolated or part of a coordinated assault. Organisations involved made the mistake of treating incidents as individual and discrete events, rather than seeing a bigger picture.

Homeland security undersecretary, George Foresman, said it was clear that the department could not yet measure America's cybersecurity preparedness. Probably because it is impossible to measure zero with a conventional ruler.

source

I am still honked off with the actions of the VA and the secured information that leaves the building in the form of a lap top. Then the VA uses the IRS to locate people.:retard3:

Hackers have been able to get information from the government for a good while, so why does the government do something about the situation. Like big rewards of 10 million dollars or have a "last ditch" shoot out between the hackers and the agents of Homeland Security.:beardbng:

Jerry

The big problem is that .... the hackers are better than anyone HS employs. Security companies have known that for decades. Anyone they catch hacking usually gets two options. Work for us ... or else.

The recording industry spent billions of dollars on a copy protection scheme and challenged the hackers to defeat it. It took 45 minutes ... including communication time ... and a Sharpie.

Computer security was one thing back when people like me were the only ones with the ability to work a machine. When you needed intimate knowledge of machine code, and electronic fundamentals. Today a kid downloads a software pack and starts attacks. Some twit manager installs a wireless router that he paid Altron $50 for and leaves a security hole in a million dollar secure network that you could drive a semi through. Instead of a skilled tech building up a computer's software pack from limitted, discreet programs so that only the needed programs are installed, you get massive, do it all suites, and operating systems that are a suite all on their own. Adding millions of useless lines of code who's only purpose is to provide potential conflicts, bugs and holes.

As you say .... laptops walking out of building. Even if they're not carrying an unsecured database, they are carrying cache files ... and they're outside the secured environment. Joe Q. Manager plugs it into his home network for web access and *poof* Mr. hacker just got himself a backdoor into any secure net that laptop has access to thereafter.

The biggest security problem in the world is ..... the user.

but...but...but...the letter from the VA said all was well & I could go back to watching Jerry Springer.

but...but...but...the letter from the VA said all was well & I could go back to watching Jerry Springer.

Better yet...watch him on Dancing with the Stars. I almost fell off my chair watching him dance the other night.

Back