Family tree etiquette

JJR512

If I make a family tree, should it include cousins' stepchildren? In other words, a cousin married someone who had children from a previous marriage; should those children be included? They are not blood relatives.

I think that maybe a family tree is supposed to be blood relatives, their spouses, and their common children (who of course would also be blood relatives of mine). But maybe this is up to the genealogist's personal preference.

What are your thoughts?

JJR512

Oh, and on a related note, if anyone can offer any tips on looking up birth, marriage, divorce, and death records online, please let me know.

BlurOfSerenity

if it were me, i would not include them as part of the tree, but maybe just put a footnote somewhere mentioning them... having them be on branches. because if you put them on, then you have to put on any kids or spouses THEY may have, and then things could get out of hand.
but that's just me.

Inkara1

Hey, just so long as the tree forks... ;)

I wouldn't include them because the point of a family tree is to trace ancestry.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Their names should be on it, as step children, as a courtesy, but no lines continuing from them, they are family after all.

MrBishop

As a courtesy, add them in, but you should be concentrating on going up the tree from you to your ancestors, and not down the tree towards further and further relatives.

As for looking up records. Some software will help you look thorugh databases of informations, acting as a translator. I've used Brother's Keeper for my family. It's not bad.

JJR512

Actually I am just as much interested in making the tree wider as I am in making it taller. I am just as much interested in identifying my more distant relations as my ancestors. After all, the people further out but within a few levels of me (the people that make the tree wide) are mostly still alive and are people that I see at family events and have no idea who they are. And, to learn who those unknown people are at family events is a large part of what started me on this project.

Of course, to make the tree wider, I've found it useful to start by going up the tree, then back down other branches. In other words: The grandparent level gives two families from which to trace offspring, going up to the great-grandparent level gives four families from which to trace offspring and find more distant relations, going up to the g-g-grandparent level gives eight families to trace down, and so on. Of course, the work level required also increases exponentially, too.

Of course, as just about anyone researching a family genealogy would do, I'm only looking up the bloodlines. While I will research my mother's father's family and my mother's mother's family, I won't research the family of the guy my maternal grandfather's sister married up, although I will trace it [/i]down[/i], because those people are blood relations.

Now, as far as adding the stepchildren I was asking about in the original post, here's the problem with actually putting them on the tree at all. Suppose I have a cousin "Ann" who is married to "Steve". Steve has kids from a previous marriage. If I enter these kids into the program I'm using, they will appear to be children of Ann and Steve--which they are not. The way around this is entering Steve's prior wife, then I can specify that those kids belong to that family, and not the family of Ann and Steve. So that means entering ex-spouses of people who are only on the tree at all because of marriage.

JJR512

Having just re-read my previous post after posting it, of course, if I ever say "of course" that frequently ever again, of course I expect someone to slap me around a bit, of course with a large flounder.

MrBishop

Not sure which program you're using, but as I recall, Brother's Keeper handles step-children and divorces fairly well (half-siblings)...my main issue with it was that it doesn't graph out beautifully.

Antoehr issue for me, is that at some point in both branches (My mother's and father's), ancestors stop being blood relatives, but named ancestors instead. Both my Mother's and Father's families were adopted into the church and given family names of those who brought them in (sponsored them). Figuring out where my in-name-only family begins is tough, as well as where the real bloodline leads. I can go to G-Grandfather on my Father's side and one step further on my Mother's...after that, it's dig deeper, and pure conjecture.

JJR512

A similar issue for me is that my father isn't my father. Although I think of him as such, and rarely explain otherwise to anyone, he is technically my stepfather; however, he has legally adopted me, which is how I legally have the same last name as he and my mother (who of course has the last name by marriage).

So far, I am doing the family tree as if this fact does not exist.

Some day, I may research my biological paternal background, but that info, for personal reasons, will never go on my true family's tree.