Favourite computer programming language?

daPirate

for those of you that program, what is your favourite language? mine is java. yes i know its not the fastest, but it is easy and it does run on multiple platforms. and we use it at university for most part. :)

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
you didn't stated otherwise, but i remember you asked me to help a girl with C++. I assumed you didn't know the C++ language.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Professur said:
COBOL. Pascal a close second.

COBOL sucks ass. I hated it back when I learned it, and I hate it now. Wordy and unweildy, it used to drive me nuts...and all just to read a simple data file. :grumpy: I do have a small liking towards FORTRAN, though. Also Pascal and, yes, BASIC. :p

Gato_Solo

You know what the problem with todays, younger programmers is? They are lazy. Sloppy code abounds, and there is no quality control anymore. Don't believe me? Two words...Microsoft XP.

How many of us bought the latest and greatest only to discover that it was full of bad code and/or required patches to work right out of the box? To make matters worse, 9 times out of 10, you can't take it back for a refund. So go ahead...make fun of us old folks, LL. We can take it, and we can fix it, and then we can hand it right back to ya'. ;)

Jeslek

Banned
Gato_Solo said:
You know what the problem with todays, younger programmers is? They are lazy. Sloppy code abounds, and there is no quality control anymore. Don't believe me? Two words...Microsoft XP.

How many of us bought the latest and greatest only to discover that it was full of bad code and/or required patches to work right out of the box? To make matters worse, 9 times out of 10, you can't take it back for a refund. So go ahead...make fun of us old folks, LL. We can take it, and we can fix it, and then we can hand it right back to ya'. ;)
Oh I'm not making fun of you. :D I do admire all that shit you did in 3 lines of code and 20 bytes of memory. Its just that saying Cobol and Fortran is your favorite language makes me think... you're old. Which isn't bad though :p You have got more experience. :D

BUTTTT, younger people also created Linux... :p

Gato_Solo

LastLegionary said:
Gato_Solo said:

Oh I'm not making fun of you. :D I do admire all that shit you did in 3 lines of code and 20 bytes of memory. Its just that saying Cobol and Fortran is your favorite language makes me think... you're old. Which isn't bad though :p You have got more experience. :D

BUTTTT, younger people also created Linux... :p

Linux is the 'bastard' offspring of UNIX. It's nice, tight code, but it's still not that original. Try coding in LISP. You'll be pulling your hair out. ;)

Luis...You should know better than to show your code to strangers...:D

HeXp£Øi±

The real problem with todays coders is that they are under pressure to build it Now
and they never have the time to perfect the software for any given hardware!
Microsofts programmers have to do this and ensure that their software remains at a lower level than anything else that might be installed.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
i'm selfish, i don't show my codes :D

on the UNIX/Linux stuff, a while ago there was this problems between all the UNIX distros, so they created the POSIX specification, the only thing Linux do is to abide to such specification, making it just another "distro" of a UNIX OS.

Gato_Solo

HeXp£Øi± said:
The real problem with todays coders is that they are under pressure to build it Now
and they never have the time to perfect the software for any given hardware!
Microsofts programmers have to do this and ensure that their software remains at a lower level than anything else that might be installed.

That would make sense except for one thing...Most, if not all, of M$'s products miss their deadline anyway. As for remaining at a 'lower level', I'll give you that one, but I still think they could do it right, rushed or not, if they actually cared.