feature thought

tommyj27

Not really Banned
i'd better post this quick before i forget about it again. not being a programmer myself, (props to you folks that save me the headache) i don't know how feasible this would be but here goes.
I find that the selection of smilies in the short list is somewhat useless, i only use a handful of them with any regularity. Could the contents of that list be made customizable on a per user basis? that way we could have easy access to our favorites.
:headbang: :faptard: :tardbang: :lfap: :banana2: :retard7: :drink: *pimp* :bong:

AlladinSane

Probably too complex. Why don't we discard some of them. The entire set of monkey smiles per example. I never saw them at use. As it is it's dial-up hell...

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
What an awesome idea! I bet fury can tell by his super duper smilie count program (???) which are the top 15!!

tommy you smartie pants you

AlladinSane

It would probably require a hell of processing in queries. My bet is that it will not come out of paper...

tommyj27

Not really Banned
i don't figure mysql would like that so much, but hey, a dumb question is only the one not asked right?
:retard5:

whoreable

in our personalized thing we should be able to add our own emoticons. that would be fantastical.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
The implementation requires that fury add some fields to the user tables, related to the smilie set, and then some queries to get that properties.

It might not be too tough to implement the thing per se, but depending on the implementation, the queries count would increase at a 1:1 ratio per smilie, unless there's the use of an array, but i'm not very familiar with mySQL and PHP these days.

And of course the tons of code to be able to select that smilies, validate them, what if the user has no custom smilies. And the process of updating each profile directly to the database so it can get a "default set".

tommyj27

Not really Banned
Luis G said:
And of course the tons of code...
that's why i leave the coding to fury, that seems to be his bag.

Spirit said:
What an awesome idea! I bet fury can tell by his super duper smilie count program (???) which are the top 15!!
maybe this would be more feasible, just find out which smilies are used most often and add them to the box. or set up a script that runs periodically and updates the box with the most popular smilies, and/or the most recently added smilies.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
tommyj27 said:
Spirit wrote:

maybe this would be more feasible, just find out which smilies are used most often and add them to the box. or set up a script that runs periodically and updates the box with the most popular smilies, and/or the most recently added smilies.

That sounds like a winner to me.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
You had the link to the newegg URL in your clipboard instead of the link to page 146 :headbang:

Regarding the custom smilies table - I think it's possible, and shouldn't add any more queries if I can do it right. I'll do it tomorrow, right now I'm just catching up on stuff and then going to bed.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
You da man, you talking about custom per user? That would be way too cool.