Find me a new career

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
I've been thinking about this for a while (years), and thought it would be helpful to get input from you guys. Sometimes an unbiased view makes all the difference.

Here's the deal - I know I don't want to do what I'm doing now as a lifelong career. It's interesting, and pays well, so I'm in no particular rush to leave. Oh, and I'm buiding a new house, so I'm likely going to stay here for another year or two. However, I know that ultimately I won't be satisfied until I find that "perfect" career. I have some foggy notions of what it might be, but can't seem to separate the wheat from the chaff. Hopefully you'll be able to help.

Hmm... background. I have a MS in mechanical engineering, and my resume would get me most any job an MS ME would be acceptable for... the key is finding it, or deciding what it is. Currently I'm doing classified work on Naval warfare technologies (mostly composite structural design, but with a smattering of mechanisms and other stuff). Like I said, it's interesting, but not my dream job (actually, the work environment pretty much is my dream job, but I guess I'm more demanding than that).

My problem, so far as I can see, is that I have too many interests and could be happy doing a wide variety of things.

--I'm a musician (piano, trumpet, percussion), and though I don't think I could go for a career in music, there are a couple of piano method books that I want to write at some point. I also have the beginnings of a trumpet concerto scribbled down that I'd like to work on at some point.
--I love electronics. I know enough about analog circuit design and digital logic to hurt myself. :) Many of my "hobbies" seem to include building a custom circuit to do something as a part of the project.
--I love high-end audio... not just the equipment, but acoustic theory as well. I've thought about opening a high-end audio store, and possibly even getting into my own loudspeaker design. The retail part of it would probably grow tiresome before long though. I also love recording, and have a decent home studio set up to record my Grand, but I really don't see that as a career.
--I'm a whiz with mechanisms problem solving and design. If it is a physically logical mechanism, I can probably figure out how to make it work and how to build it. Tooting my own horn... I never cease to amaze myself at how "clever" my mechanical designs wind up.
--I'm creative. I've pursued a couple of patents to this point in my life, but without a team of lawyers I decided in both cases that I wouldn't be able to stake enough intellectual property to make marketing viable. I don't seem to have any problem coming up with an endless stream of "new" (to me) ideas... just that they are always a year or two behind someone else's "new" (to them) very similar idea. I'd love to work in an environment where this aspect of my talents was able to flourish.

My current "projects" (outside my current "hobbies"): I'm trying to solve the problem of high resultion 3D mapping and tracking in space... I think it can be done more reliably and much cheaper than the existing mechanical, magnetic, ultrasonic, and optical systems (the calculus is getting pretty deep, and I'm not a math genious, but I think the problem is tractable); and I'm trying to solve the problems inherent with traditional brushless DC motor design... I feel like I'm getting really close on this one.

About the work environment: I'm fairly self sufficient, and confident in my work. However, I prefer, and seem to excel, in team environments. It's like I feed on the unrefined ideas of others. Simple statements that others have made and dismissed as random thoughts have led to some of "our" collective breakthroughs simply because I saw the problem and solutions in an apparently unique way.

If I could put a name on what I'm looking for, it would be "engineering think tank," if there is such a thing. "Inventor" would probably be a good fit as well, but to be perfectly honest I would really benefit from partners/colleagues to keep me motivated on a project. My biggest downside is that I tend to have too many "hobbies" or "projects" going at once, and it takes forever for any one of them to get completed.

Being in business for myself is naturally attractive, but I'd prefer to do it with a partner (for the above reasons). Things I have no doubt that I'm capable of doing as far as private ventures: drafting house plans; operating a high-end A/V retail/custom installation business, consulting engineering on 3D modeling, mechanical design, structural design, mechanical and structural analysis; designing and manufacturing mechanical parts and systems for a variety of niche markets (automotive racing parts, manufacturing automation equipment, etc.).

So... lay it on me. How does the above description strike you as far as suitable careers? Remember, I'm looking two years or more out... but when I look out all I see is this fog of possibilities. Help me to focus my efforts.

Please.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I'd start the high-end audio store, when it works by itself, i'd rest and enjoy my life.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I say work at McDonalds, they start you out above minimum, you get a discount on food, and a happy work environment, what else could you possibly want?

I think your best bet is to establish what needs are in your area, or any area for that matter and start your own business. It sounds like thats what most interests you, and will give you the freedom to explore in the directions you want to explore. A partner does sound like a good idea though, just be sure to get one that is more of a tight-ass than yourself, to keep you from spending all your capital before you make any money.

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
OK, you guys aren't that big of a help. :(

:lol:

Seriously... take some time when you get a chance and think about it. Where to educated, creative people go to find their dream job? PT is obviously on the right track, but supposing I did start my own business... doing what? That's the $25,000 question though, isn't it?

If I was only interested in, or good at, one thing then it might be easier. But I think I could be successful and happy doing a variety of things. I want to find the best avenue to explore.

PT

The diversity is a problem, you have to find out what is needed, then go from there. My brother works for a company called Black and Veach, they build power plants all over the world and he does the structural detailing for them. Got the job by whoreing himself out to any contractor or sub that would take him for three years, then finally working straight for the company. Basically, start whoreing out your skills. Do you have to stay in Mississippi or are you able to move? Don't know if you're in a big metro area now or not, but from what you've said, you possess skills that could do wonders in a city, but little or nothing in a small community.

MrBishop

The almopst perfect solution

I have a freind who works in film development (not 35mm, but movie reels, shorts, commercials etc...) for a company in montreal. He and I have been talking about the path that negative processing, and image crispness have gone over the past few years, and the correct use of negative space to pack better digital images etc...blah blah blah. He tells me that they're pretty close to the best it'll ever be using that medium, BUT...here's the kicker. Sound quality hasn't improved in almost 10 years now...and it's a technical question of balancing the amount of negative which the sound track uses as well as the voices and any additional tracks, while maximizing the crispness of the sound. It's been ten years going....prehaps a 'project' like this one would net you some fun.

The other option would be the 'crusade' option, that is...a lot of non-profit organizations/'green' orgs./etc... don't have the money to pay for the high-end engineers to help solve the problems of the world such as pollution, desalinization of ocean water, the ozone issues, water purification, food distribution etc...

Exchange the high salaries for the high ideals. It's more challenging because of the money/budget constraints, you definately have to work well with others, and you can hold your head up high when talking about what you do.

Hope this helps.
Mr. (The volunteer guy) Bishop
:headbang:

Janimal

I have the same problem. Too many interests and not enough lifetime to cover them all adequately.

However, most people these days do have the option of indulging in at least two careers, sometimes more.

I'm in very much the same place you are. I like my job, the work environment is very decent and the salary is very good. But I don't want to stay on this particular career track forever. Finances are my biggest roadblock issue. So any major changes are going to have to either wait for a while, or are going to have to involve the whole family.

My suggestions, for what they are worth:

If you can afford to take a salary cut, look at entry level jobs in areas that you might be interested in. You can keep the job for a fairly short period of time while you evaluate if you like it enough to stay there and move up. PT's consulting suggestion could work as well.

Look around and see what companies are producing the kinds of things you think are really cool, and apply to those companies.

Or, you can make a list of your strengths, skills, or whatever, and use those as keyword searches on any of the more common job sites. The trick is to not filter on any particular industry or area. The idea is to get results back in areas completely outside your current known realm.

Which brings me to another point. Sometimes, it may be possible to turn your current not-quite-dream job into your dream job. If you have any leeway at all, it might be possible to set your own terms and not have to leave the company you are currently with at all.

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Good suggestions. The company I work for is really pretty great as far as corporations go, but we're locked into exclusively working on government contracts. That in itself is enough to eventually turn me away. For now, I'm learning and earning plenty. Just looking down the road a bit.

I think venturing out on my own, or in a partnership, is ultimately the road I'll have to take. If I could find that magical company that wants that magical team to "solve any problem we throw at you" then it would be a match made in heaven. Unfortunately, specialization is the fad of the day. I'm specialized... in several things. I can't decide which I like the most.

I'd really like to find an avenue to explore that puts many of my interests to the test; audio, mechanisms, structures, analysis and design, electronics, fundamental physics...

Ring a bell for anyone?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Find yourself a decent EVI (not the Akai version), finish your concerto, and, when you're finished with that, move on to your ME skills...;)

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
My good friend has worked at a high end audio/video store for a couple of years, on and off while he was in college. He became good friends with the owner, who also happened to be a professor for a couple of his EE courses.

We discussed several times over the years how cool it would be to own an operate a store like that.

My friend just told me the owner has offered to sell him the store... building, inventory, company contacts and contracts, and all. He wants to know if I'm interested in investing with him...

:faptard:

PT

Well, go for it. You've always wanted to do it, if nothing else, five years down the road you can sell it to some other suckers with big dreams.

Janimal

outside looking in said:
My friend just told me the owner has offered to sell him the store... building, inventory, company contacts and contracts, and all. He wants to know if I'm interested in investing with him...

My only advice -> make sure all deals are in writing and any arrangements agreed to up front. Getting into business with a friend can be very dicey. The fella (or gal) that is your best pal doesn't necessarily make the best business partner.

As a friend of mine always says, "business is business".

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
You're absolutely right about that.

I'm not sure what the bank would think about it though... seeing as how I just went in debt up to my eyeballs due to the house I'm building. :(