Firefox 3: are you using it?

are you?

• Yes, I switched to it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
As many of you know Firefox 3 (Gran Paradiso) was released yesterday. Have you upgraded from previous version? Are you considering switching to it?

I've been a Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox user since I started using the net (back in 1995-1996 I think). So I just upgraded from 2.0.0.14 to 3.0

Inkara1

Let me know if it works.

I'd be especially interested in a Mac guinea pig for FF 3.0 because FF 2.x for Mac isn't very reliable at all.

Inkara1

I downloaded FF 3.0 for the main Windows machine at home... pages render faster now. The difference is as much as 20-30 seconds on game day threads at www.lonestarball.com when they get past 300-350 comments or so.

Luis G

Staff member
The only annoyance so far is that in FF2 I used to increase font size by doing ctrl-scroll down and to decrease it was ctrl-scroll up, in FF3 it is inverted :shrug:

BeardofPants

Wot he said (am mac user).
Review I read said great for pc, but safari still more useful on mac, for what it's worth, ink.

BlurOfSerenity

i use ff 2.whatever on my mac, and it works great. it will probably be a while before i get 3, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and all that.

Inkara1

I updated the mac at work to 3.0 when I had a couple spare minutes at the end of the day. Time will tell. I like to use it rather than safari because of the drop-down address bar where it saves the URLs you've typed in. I don't believe Safari can do that. I only add work-related stuff to my bookmarks there, so that drop-down is useful to me.

Luis G

Staff member
I updated the mac at work to 3.0 when I had a couple spare minutes at the end of the day. Time will tell. I like to use it rather than safari because of the drop-down address bar where it saves the URLs you've typed in. I don't believe Safari can do that. I only add work-related stuff to my bookmarks there, so that drop-down is useful to me.

The drop-down usually takes more time than doing CTRL-L (to go to location bar) and start typing the address, to get here usually a ot is enough as it also sorts the results by the most used.

Inkara1

If I remember the address, I start typing it in and do it the same way as you... but sometimes I need to see the address to remember what it is.

Luis G

Staff member
If I remember the address, I start typing it in and do it the same way as you... but sometimes I need to see the address to remember what it is.

FF3 solves that by searching not only for the address, but also the page title.

So if you want to come here, you might as well type "Off Topic Central" and it should give you an address. Apparently, it also learns with time, meaning that if everytime you type otc you select www.otcentral.com then that address becomes the first option given.

Inkara1

Microsoft Silverlight doesn't work with FF 3.0, I've found. Why that's bad: I was using it to stream baseball games over the internet via the mlb.tv service, and it works better than media player for that.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Not upgraded. I am in the market for a new computer so am not putting much effort into this one right now.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I've been using it since beta 3, upgrading at every opportunity. It's OK, and has some better features, but I am really fucking annoyed now by the random times where it just stops loading all pages. It never seems to have a specific cause. Sometimes it will be an overzealous MySpace page that sets it off, but sometimes I will just be browsing my own sites, where I know the previous version of Firefox never failed, and it will just suddenly stop loading. And I'll figure it could be my server, and then open a new tab to go check my Yahoo mail, and nothing loads. It's been pushing me back to using IE for a few things that I need it to not suddenly stop loading everything altogether in the middle of. (how many prepositions was that, Inky? :lloyd: )

Luis G

Staff member
A new annoyance in FF3 caused by vBulletin is the double submit buttons with alt-s key shortcut, FF3 simply doesn't know which to push :confuse3:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Thank God I can at least fix that... :p

edited the template so only one set of the buttons has the accesskey.

Mirlyn

At work, but not at home. No problems, but kind of 'meh' with the dropdown. The SSL sensitivity is annoying, but works much better than FF2 once I imported all our certs.