First American-Indian Astronaut Flies Next Week

B

Bubba

Link: http://www.wkmg.com/sh/news/stories/nat-news-177654120021109-111141.html

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- When NASA's first American-Indian astronaut blasts off into space next week, he'll have the blessing of the Chickasaw Nation.

It's about time. :headbang:

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
why? i don't give a rats ass about the skin color. for all i care she was purple, as long as she does her job well.
that's all that matters.

B

Bubba

Shadowfax said:
why? i don't give a rats ass about the skin color. for all i care she was purple, as long as she does her job well.
that's all that matters.

You don't know much about American History do you? The entire United States was once occupied by indians. They were driven to the reservations by people from Europe. If anyone deserves to be a part of the space program then it would be an American Indian. Color of skin has nothing to do with it. Read the history books.

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
Bubba said:
You don't know much about American History do you? The entire United States was once occupied by indians. They were driven to the reservations by people from Europe. If anyone deserves to be a part of the space program then it would be an American Indian. Color of skin has nothing to do with it. Read the history books.

I DO know about American History. I DO know what happened to the indians.
And i DO know that astronauts are selected by their QUALITIES.
That's my point.
Who deserves to be on the space program? The people who are qualified. So it happened to be an American Indian this time? Well, years back it was the first Afro American in Space. Because he was qualified.

THAT is my point. Nothing more, nothing less. Pure an observation. Don't start assuming i don't know much about american history, because you know a LOT less about ME than i know about american history.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
With Bubba's rationalization, a black deserves to be in the White House, an Hispaninc deserves to be rich...shall I go on? We cannot make up for the past. We can avoid the same mistakes in the present & future.

B

Bubba

Shadowfax said:
Bubba said:

I DO know about American History. I DO know what happened to the indians.
And i DO know that astronauts are selected by their QUALITIES.
That's my point.
Who deserves to be on the space program? The people who are qualified. So it happened to be an American Indian this time? Well, years back it was the first Afro American in Space. Because he was qualified.

THAT is my point. Nothing more, nothing less. Pure an observation. Don't start assuming i don't know much about american history, because you know a LOT less about ME than i know about american history.

The old Bubba/s4 would have something to say about this, but the new and "improved" Bubba doesn't. I wont speak my mind because I don't like seeing "banned" under my username.

Hyphen

Your skin colour should no more determine better rights to a person than take them away. But i can understand why this is considered a milestone.
P.S. Bubba, I'm sure any replies and discussion as long as they are civil would be welcomed.

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
The old Bubba/s4 would have something to say about this, but the new and "improved" Bubba doesn't. I wont speak my mind because I don't like seeing "banned" under my username.

if you can't speak your mind without getting banned, well, then that's your problem. nobody else seems to have a problem with it.

so, say what you have to say :shrug:

i didn't post that without reason, i posted it because i wanted to give my view on what you said, and i don't see why you can't respond to that without even getting banned..

what the fuck do i even care? speak, don't speak, suit yourself.

B

Bubba

i only posted this story because i thought it was a "neat" little story...ie, the symbolism of the first Americans being honored by being sent into space was kind of "cool" to my way of thinking.

it's not an issue that i feel strongly enough to argue about.

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
1. it's 'cool' that american-indians get into space as well...i saw that "it's about time" comment under it, and i thought you meant that because you thought it american indians weren't going into space before BECAUSE they are american indians.
sorry, you can't say ANYTHING here anymore in the netherlands, because EVERYTHING is always put off as discrimination :rolleyes:
so i tried to explain that i couldn't care less that he/she is an american indian...i don't care about skin color or race or whatever. as long as they do their jobs.
but from historical point of view it's nice.

2. don't get back to the point where you got banned last time. if you want to be a member, fine. post whatever you want, as long as it doesn't violate the AUP. just like every other member.
you weren't invited back, so what? nobody is invited here on purpose. free boards, free choice. you got your welcome thread, everyone posted, nobody complained about you coming back.

if you want to leave, fine. if you don't, then don't. but stop getting back to things happened before.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Bubba, you know very well you didn't get banned because of speaking your mind. But that's a completely different issue.

About the racism, i'm with Shadow on this one, racism starts when we call people by their race (aka an American-Indian, an hispanic, a latino, a black).

Although, our world is still not racism-free, therefore some news might use racist remarks to indicate that racism is being defeated.

ris

i understand what you mean shadowfax, that the racial background is not important to the job they are doing. but it is likely to be of great importance and pride to the ethnic group of which they are part, and act as an example to many to aspire to the same.
in that regard i think that it has some significance, no matter how small.

HeXp£Øi±

You know there's an old TAO saying which basically says that both parties can be correct and have valid points respectfully. You people could just as well be in agreement if you wanted to be.

B

Bubba

When someone begins their argument with " i don't give a rats ass " that tells me that they are looking to fight rather than discuss.

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
:rolleyes:

i didn't say i didn't give a rats ass about an american indian going into space..i said i didn't give a rats ass about the skin color of an astronaut.
i'm sorry i don't give a damn about the color of somebody's skin...that's not really a point of discussion, because that's a good thing in my opinion...

like i said, i misunderstood the intention of your post. i'm not stupid enough to fight on the internet. i couldn't care less. think what you want to think, but i apologize for the miscommunication.