? for the parents

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Is trying to find a way for the non-volunteers to feel like volunteering a pipedream? I don't want to harass folks, I want them to feel welcome.

In a materialistic world, you need to make people feel like they're doing the in thing by volunteering. Is not something easy to do, but once it is done the problem would be how to manage so many volunteers :shrug:

[sell the idea]
Make videos of the activities, make sure to show parents having fun, kids being grateful, having fun and learning. Take advantage of their guilt, since many are already working they might feel guilty they are not doing something for their kids, so every once in a while they'll get the chance to make up for it!!! [/sell the idea]

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Our school has a bake sale run by the grade 6's every month. They're fundraising for the big grade 7 trip they'll go on the following year. The teacher sent home at the beginning of the year a list of dates, with 5-6 kids attached to each date. The letter said - We're fundraising for a trip. This will save you money next year. Each child is expected to contribute baked goods on their assigned date. That worked. They did it, even if it was just giving them cash for Tim's/a dozen donuts, they did it.

People are only going to contribute to causes that they care about. People will only go out of their way for causes they REALLY care about. I can't think of anything on earth that would motivate me to contribute to a bus driver appreciation breakfast. Some people will flock to help with the Halloween party. Some will come in droves to help with Christmas stuff. You're gonna find that people will flock to help with some things, and noone will help with other things. So you plan on doing some things with no help, or just don't do them, especially if there's no support from them within the community.

A sneaky but effective way is to really hype it up with the kids. So they go home and beg and plead with mom and dad to go help. But I find that one cruel to the kids - the ones whose parents can't or won't for whyever are really sad and embarrassed. It will get some parents in there though, however temporarily.

Also, our school puts on a thank the volunteers breakfast every year. The principal hosts, and all of the teachers are there. There is a lovely little invitation which looks as if you're being invited to High Tea, and a nice breakfast, with a thank you speech from the principal. While it isn't much of an incentive to do it the first time, it certainly did give me incentive to go volunteer a second year, knowing that my effort was actually appreciated. Some extra attention at the end of the year will do wonders with turnout next year.

Otherwise, if they're not already volunteering, they're prolly not gonna. If they see that the room mother is nice, and they're not gonna be harassed forevermore if they just want to try it once, they just may give it a shot. But for most, I expect you're SOL, and as the kids get older, it'll get worse.

kuulani

I'm not in the PTA, but I just filled out forms for my son's school to volunteer for their recycling drive and veteran's day floral donations and whatever else they need ... my husband has also chaporoned a handful of field trips so far.

For my daughter's school (they go to different ones), I'm on staff there, so I don't know what I do their after hours is "volunteer" or "free forced labor" :D

Mare

I dont do the PTA, and every once in a while throughout the year i might volunteer for something in the classroom, only to get to know the teacher alittle better.

The PTA and room moms are kinda "cligue" if you ask me. They seem to get voted in every year. Not to be mean, but they remind me of ppl who are like tupperware or home interiors ppl, they can be pushy at times.

tonksy

I am the antithesis of clique-y....but I guess I am the minority.

What's wrong with Tupperware?

tonksy

Add 2 more folks with different taste preferences and a full garden. We tended to have a lot of food go south before folks ate it.

BeardofPants

I envy you your veggie garden. I'd love to have access to fresh vegies from the garden... one of the trade-offs of apartment living, I guess. *mope*

tonksy

We planted a lima bean sprout that Mar brought home from kindergarten last year because we didn't want to hurt her feelings or whatever...anyway, that thing was prolific! We've decided to plant several more limas next spring.
I also want to try green onions and yellow squash.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Tip on onion growing, learned and then relearned the hard way:

The absolute worst thing you can do to an onion is to plant it too deeply. Ideally, all you want to do is put the onion set in the desired locale, and ever so barely cover it with dirt. It is better for it to sit on top of the ground than to be covered an inch too much.

tonksy

Good to know!
I have never tried to plant them before but we use green onions all the time....how do you tell when they are harvestable?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
By green onions I assume you mean the tops...

They can be any variety of onion AFAIK. The only difference is, you pull them when the tops reach the desired size, and before the actual onion begins to really grow. We use 'em chopped in salads, as garnish, etc, plus AE has been known in her day to amble about the house just munching on a green onion top. I love her anyway.

Given the day and age, there is probably a variety out there specifically engineered genetically to produce the tops and little else. If there is I ain't aware of it though, so I'd check a farmer's co-op or mom & pop feed and seed store. I have the exact opposite problem...I'm always pullin' 'em too early lookin' for a good sized onion and end up with nothing but the tops.

tonksy

Thanks for the advice.
I have seen plants labelled as "green onions" at the Home Depot etc. I bet it's how you said - modified to create more greens and less bulb onion.
Are they very prone to slugs or rust or anything?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
From my experience, onions are one of the hardest veggies to kill. Really, the worst you can do to them is cover them up too deeply. They'll usually withstand about anything except that. Weather conditions might affect their size and/or strength, but beyond that I never worry too much about m'onions coming up. I don't spray them or anything, just let 'em grow. They're generally the first thing I set out in the spring, and I'll set out about 3 or 4 staggered plantings so I have them all summer. We likes us some onions around here. 'Specially them great big ol' strong-ass purple onions...Gawd them's good.

I rarely have anyone share an elevator with me twice. Wonder why?