Former smokers

chcr

Too cute for words
(no direct evidence of a absolute link between smoking & cancer).
Why is it that everyone thinks that smoking causes cancer? It simply increases the risk of cancer by an unacceptably large percentage. Not really the same thing. There is plenty of direct evidence that smoking increases your risk of certain kinds of cancer. This in no way implies people who don't smoke have no risk, just less.

I smoked a pipe, not cigarettes, and I still miss it. I quit four years ago. I don't think it's as hard to quit a pipe, but I miss the whole "ritual" of it. It was very relaxing. *sigh*

chcr

Too cute for words
Gonz said:
That's the reason I love this argument. ;)

You're missing the point though, I think. It does significantly increase your risk, and this is the reason you should quit (unless of course you don't care, which, IMO, is absolutely your business). You quit so that you might live longer, see your kids grow up and present you with grandchildren whom you might reasonably expect to give your children at least as much trouble as your children gave you. :)

Dave

dont be a wuss and give up now Gonz. any fool can fall back into self-destructive habits.

:D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
HEY! I liked my self-destructive habits. Without them I'm just another boring old fuck with too much time on his hands.

First I gave up sex (got married)
then booze (didn't care)
now cigarettes (I forgot why)
If I give up swearing people will think I'm dead :D

Hoon

I smoked for ten years and I just quit Tuesday, Dec 23rd.
It's only been 6 days but it isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I used the patch for two days.
It was tough, psychologicly but only at certain moments like driving to work, first thing in the morning and after a meal.
The 3rd day I tried to go the whole day w/o the patch and it went surprisingly well.
Now I have worn the patch a few times when the cravings get real bad but not steadily.

It's all psychological, man.

The reaosn I quit.
I hated paying $40 + a week for smokes.
I hated not being able to yawn or laugh without coughing.
I hated that something had control of me.
I hated standing in the rain & snow during breaks just to puff.
I hated walking into the corner store and having the cashier say "Smokes"? without me saying a word.

greenfreak

It's different for everyone, you can't apply one person's experience with another's. You can't say for sure just because you quit cold turkey, that it would work for everyone else.

I started at 16 and quit at 26, smoked Marlboro Lights, at least a pack a day. Like Nalani, my trigger was drinking and I could go through one pack in one night at a bar, which I was in frequently.

Everyone in my family smoked and the mornings were signaled by my mother and brother coughing up all the phlegm in their lungs. I always said from the beginning that if my health was ever outwardly affected like that, that I would quit.

After about 10 years, I started getting chronic bronchitis and had it six times in one year. The last three bouts were right in a row, once in October, November and December. Because I was getting sick so much, they had to keep prescribing stronger drugs to cure me. Finally, that last time in December, after the doc told me I had walking pneumonia, I decided that was it. I would never smoke while I was sick and that last time, I just never started up again after the week in bed.

I even kept my last pack of cigarettes in my kitchen drawer for a few months. But I never lit it. Sure, I'd smell them and put them in my mouth, but that was as far as I went. And I haven't had one since, five years later. I genuinely enjoyed smoking, right up to the end. But it just wasn't worth it to me anymore. Especially now looking back, I don't miss the smell, the price of it, the dirty ashtrays, having to always smoke outside because no one allows you to smoke inside anymore. I won't go back.

What I noticed about quitting... Once the chemicals have left your system and your cough has died down, all it is is a battle of wills with the habit. It's just retraining. I never did the lollypop thing but what I noticed is I have a fixation with my hands, they were always in motion. So I got a bunch of rubber bands and put them around my wrist and would subconciously play with them.

Also, my sense of smell got really really sensitive. I can smell things that other people can't, it's really strange. Didn't notice much of a difference with my sense of taste like some people do.

I don't crave anymore, and I can't remember the last time I did. But I still have weird things every once in a while, like I'll be smoking in a dream or after I eat dinner in a restaurant, I'll make a mental note of whether I'm in the smoking section or not so I can light up. But I don't consider myself a smoker anymore.

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
nalani said:
Everytime I quit, I'm the most boring person in the world because I have to quit all my triggers as well - drinking .. coffee... sex :O - and the one thing that does me in ... FINALS! Pulling allnighters ... needing that coffee .. then, just one cig .. then two ... then, after finals, BEER!!! ... then one more cig ... another .. next thing you know, I'm a fornicating coffee and beer drinking smoker all over again :D

:rofl3:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
72 or so hours later;

I was okay until I went for a drive.

I'm no longer prepared to murder for a smoke but if the feelings don't hurry & change, I don't see why I quit. 20 years of cravings vs 20 years of smoking=smoking.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Well Gonz, let me help you out here. Why did you quit? 20 years of smoking? Maybe. 20 years of craving? Doubt it. The thing is that 20 years of smoking may not be 20 years. May only be 10, then 10 years of dying a long, slow, painful death from lung cancer and emphysema. Your choice of course.

PT

True enough, some people smoke all thier lives and don't get sick at all from it. How old is your son now?

PT

So what, about 3 or 4 more years before he has his first cig then, huh?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
chcr said:
You're missing the point though, I think. It does significantly increase your risk, and this is the reason you should quit (unless of course you don't care, which, IMO, is absolutely your business). You quit so that you might live longer, see your kids grow up and present you with grandchildren whom you might reasonably expect to give your children at least as much trouble as your children gave you. :)

chcr...crossing the street significantly increases your chance of being run over by a bus.

...Riding a bicycle without a helmet significantly increases your risk of head trauma.

...Argue til your blue in the face, and people won't quit unless they want to quit.

Also...if any of you smoke herb, you get over 3 times the tar, twice the CO2, and approximately twice the CO of cigarettes. Of course, you aren't dissing ciggy smokers...are you? ;)

catocom

PuterTutor said:
So what, about 3 or 4 more years before he has his first cig then, huh?

My aunt and uncle have smoke for 30 years, and neither of their kids smoke now.
2 kids. The daughter has never smoked, and the son smoked periodically for about
5 years, and quit cold.???