France bans religious paraphanelia in schools and hospitals

Rose

PARIS, France (CNN) -- French President Jacques Chirac has called for a law banning religious symbols and clothing in state schools and hospitals.

Chirac's remarks Wednesday came in response to a commission report favoring the banning of Muslim head scarves, Jewish skullcaps and large Christian crosses in public schools.

He said he would sponsor legislation to make the ban law by next autumn.

In an address to the nation, Chirac said: "I feel that wearing any kind of symbol that ostensibly shows faith, I feel that that is something that should not be allowed in schools and colleges.

"If we are talking about a star of David, the hand of Fatima or a small cross, those are acceptable, but when it's very obvious, in other words, when if they are worn people can immediately see what religious faith they belong to, that should not be accepted."

SOURCE

Gosh, this sounds like it will open a HUGE can of worms.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
what an asshole

next time they surrender, can we just leave it as is

they were saved from nazis to become nazis.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Who is going to decide how large that cross can be? A small one is acceptable. Hmmm.....

Rose

PuterTutor said:
Who is going to decide how large that cross can be? A small one is acceptable. Hmmm.....

Exactly. This should prove to be an interesting story when it starts unfolding and the ban starts going into effect. He wants to pass the ban into law soon.

Ms Ann Thrope

Will this include jewelry someone might wear? gosh, I have no idea how this can be enforced....

Although a world where public buildings never display any religious imagery sounds just like, um, heaven to me... :D

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
if they refuse to let people wear burka's, that's one thing, but this is just plain wrong...

proves my opinion of chirac once again: dumb twat.

Gotnolegs

Shadowfax said:
if they refuse to let people wear burka's, that's one thing, but this is just plain wrong...

proves my opinion of chirac once again: dumb twat.

Why is that different? Assuming of course that the person wants so wear it...

AlphaTroll

AlladinSane said:
Symbols and clothing? That means nuns can't wear habits either?

They probably can.........until they get to a public school or government building - would have to strip to their nickers then I suppose :shrug:

What annoys me is that crosses will be allowed, depending on size, but no other religious symbolism...........erm, can you say hipocrite Mr Chirac? Methinks ye been sniffing yer cheese too long eh?

Gotnolegs

AlphaTroll said:
They probably can.........until they get to a public school or government building - would have to strip to their nickers then I suppose :shrug:

What annoys me is that crosses will be allowed, depending on size, but no other religious symbolism...........erm, can you say hipocrite Mr Chirac? Methinks ye been sniffing yer cheese too long eh?

"If we are talking about a star of David, the hand of Fatima or a small cross, those are acceptable"

I guess what he is trying to say is that you can wear a symbol of your faith as long as you don't shove down other people's throats. I'm not sure I agree but then I don't have all the details. I see no reason to expect CNN to report an accurate, in depth report on something in France given the current political climate.

AlphaTroll

All of those symbols are of Christian/Judeo origin. The policy blatantly discriminates against any other religious groups, which IMO is absolute nonsense and should not be tolerated at all.

I have never viewed people wearing scarves or any other religious adornment as offensive in the least, why should they give up their freedom & right to do as they wish?

The reports from CNN may be biased, but just about every other news agency reports the same. Regardless of the reports anyway, the enactment of the proposal is a slap in the face of democracy & basic human rights.

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
Gotnolegs said:
Why is that different? Assuming of course that the person wants so wear it...

because that makes interaction between the teacher and student a lot less personal and more difficult.

i would be highly annoyed to stare at just a pair of eyes all day, or perhaps not even that.

there's a huge difference between that and other religious items

AlphaTroll

Nooooooooooooo!!!!! Shadowfax....run! Run as fast as you can.....in circles.....screaming & shouting!!!!!!!!!! ;)

chcr

Too cute for words
AlphaTroll said:
All of those symbols are of Christian/Judeo origin. The policy blatantly discriminates against any other religious groups, which IMO is absolute nonsense and should not be tolerated at all.

I have never viewed people wearing scarves or any other religious adornment as offensive in the least, why should they give up their freedom & right to do as they wish?

The reports from CNN may be biased, but just about every other news agency reports the same. Regardless of the reports anyway, the enactment of the proposal is a slap in the face of democracy & basic human rights.

I wonder if this isn't the inevitable backlash of this latest round of islamic terrorism. Unfortunate that it doesn't really affect the terrorists, but these knee-jerk reactions are pretty typical of people everywhere.