'Freegan' activists reject consumer waste by digging through trash for food

BlurOfSerenity

Gato_Solo said:
Buy a cheaper, more fuel efficient car. They do exist...even if you don't like the styling. Live in a cheaper area, even if you don't like the neighborhood. Not a dangerous area, BTW...just a cheaper one.

cool, i'll just click my heels three times. in other words... it's not always so easy. i'd have to move out of state. my mom wants both me and my brother to move out of the state because she knows neither he nor i will ever be able to afford a house in the state of maryland. despite this, just packing up and leaving isn't so easy.

Gato_Solo said:
BTW...since you're being sarcastic...:p Dressing conservatively and losing the multiple tattoos and piercings will get you a job much faster than your peers who don't. ;)

since i'm not being sarcastic... the housing costs in my area really are 4x the national average. (see above comment for response to moving to a "better" area) my only visible mod is a nosering, and when i wear a clear retainer in it, it is virtually invisible. i wore it around my mom and she thought i removed the ring altogether. a lot of people with mods do this. the ones that dont, dont know any better, and need to smarten up.
and i'm exaggerating slightly on my part... the scenario mentioned is not my own. it's that of some of my friends. oh yeah, and they have to pay for their own schooling too. so they're even more in debt. i'm fortunate enough that my parents pay my insurance. if they didn't, i dont know what i'd do.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Choices & priorities. They are yours to make & the consequences are yours to live with. If Baltimore costs 4x the nat'l average, move to Elko NV. Or go back to the folks. Or suffer & stay put. Or gert a better job. The choices Americans make are for them to live with. Bill Gates made some good choices. Charles Manson didn't. The guy with the big house, the big pool, the big car & the pretty wife made choices. The guy dumpster diving did too. Choices; don't complain when the wrong ones are made.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
No ma'am. Circumstances come about because of choices & priorities.

Every single decision you ever make can impact your future. You may not see it, but it does.

MrBishop

Gonz said:
No ma'am. Circumstances come about because of choices & priorities.

Every single decision you ever make can impact your future. You may not see it, but it does.
and your circumstances are where you were born, where you live and whether you have a choice in where you live, your race, your gender, your level of education and your intellect. *some of which you can get control over at 18 yrs of age, when you can get a job, move away from home and shake off your parent's choices*

Bill Gates would've died before he was 13 yrs old if he'd been born in Somalia. Circumstances limit choices.

Inkara1

I know you like to be able to make Gonz the butt of your jokes, but come on... that one was just embarassing!

BlurOfSerenity

MrBishop said:
and your circumstances are where you were born, where you live and whether you have a choice in where you live, your race, your gender, your level of education and your intellect. *some of which you can get control over at 18 yrs of age, when you can get a job, move away from home and shake off your parent's choices*

Bill Gates would've died before he was 13 yrs old if he'd been born in Somalia. Circumstances limit choices.

THANK YOU!!

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
MrBishop said:

You have one very important choice listed in your circumstances...

Education. You may claim it's circumstance, but it's the most important choice anyone can make. If you choose to slough off in school, how far is your education going to get you?

As for your slam on Somalia, I find that to be crude and racist. Somalia is only like that because of what the French government did in the 1940's and 1950's. In other words...the French made choices, which created the circumstances you see in Somalia today.

MrBishop

Gato_Solo said:
You have one very important choice listed in your circumstances...

Education. You may claim it's circumstance, but it's the most important choice anyone can make. If you choose to slough off in school, how far is your education going to get you?

As for your slam on Somalia, I find that to be crude and racist. Somalia is only like that because of what the French government did in the 1940's and 1950's. In other words...the French made choices, which created the circumstances you see in Somalia today.
My comment was more on the likelyhood of survival to an age of majority in a third-world nation...rife with tribal warfare, almost no arable land, minimal potable water etc...where education is a non issue....for anyone, but for a geek in particular.

As for education... if you apply yourself, have access to decent schools and teachers AND can afford it...you can go as far as your intellect will take you.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
MrBishop said:
As for education... if you apply yourself, have access to decent schools and teachers AND can afford it...you can go as far as your intellect will take you.

Most of Somalia was desert, and people survived before the Europeans got there. ;)

As for your second bit, check out the bolded part of your quote. If you do not apply yourself, then you are gauranteed nothing further.

HomeLAN

Last time I checked, no one here is posting from Somalia. Excuses go the way of the dodo in a big hurry when you're born in the relative wealth and with access to the opportunitiews available in places like the US and Canada.

How 'bout we limit the discussion to what actually applies to the participants?