Gardening 2006

unclehobart

Well... tis mid summer. What did everyone get into the ground this year? How did they turn out?

We planted jalapeno shrubs that produced 4 times what we would dare use in normal cooking.
We planted 10 various tomato bushes that grew up over 8 feet high and produced gobs and gobs.
A tucked away corner away from direct light in the backyard received 3 coleus... and they are getting huge.
All roses did way better than expected.

Tonks will have to get in here and fill out most of the detail since I can't mentally keep track of the 200+ additions to the fold.

Grass did ok considering this is a drought year. The junipers were slaughtered and died half off.

Bulbs planted last year only halfway came back.

The new flowerbox is doing very well... can't remember half of what went into it.

tonksy

I can't believe things did as well as they did with as little rain as we have had.
This year my plant of experimentation was cleome, a very interesting flowering plant whose leaves resemble something not so legally planted. It comes in many colors and we have planted white, pink, and purple. It apparently reseeds itself and is quite vigorous...which is great so I have less to plant next year.
The new flowerbox Rob spoke of has dark pink cleome, white and pink phlox, mexican heather, purple coneflower, and zinnias.
The roses on the trouble hill are doing well!
We do have a potential problem as a lot of the juniper on the side of the house by the street is dying and that is apparently a chrome plated bitch to pull up.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
32 Amish Paste
6 Bloody Butcher
8 (I forget) ind tomato

4 Jalapeno
4 Anaheim
4 Hungarian Hot Wax
4 Pepperocini
4 Sweet Banana

3 Annie Oakley okra (2 short of needed)

Had the above started before our summer from hell tour began. Barely got them in the ground (mid-June) We had several seed varieties that were old & I planted all of them to get what we could get.

zucchini
Harvest Gold pummpkin
Straight 8 cucumber

I've got several brocolli plants started to be put in for a fall crop & have started quite a few spices for a container.

Inkara1

I'll have to ask my parents how their garden is doing; I do know the squash seems to be up to the usual standards. My place doesn't really have a good spot for a vegetable garden and my schedule isn't conductive to keeping it going anyway.

I did finally get around to pruning the rose bushes in the front yard and the small trees up against the front wall of the house.

Professur

SouthernN'Proud said:
When you are miles away from it? It's not where I can go by easily and see if it needs weeding etc.

give up an hour in front of the box and take the family. Call it a bonding experience.

AllEars'

There is no water on the property right now.

We will be moving back over there end of Sept. give or take. Perfect time for lots of flower beds and grass to go in. I am sure that all this time of not having to weed and dig will be made up for in the first month back on the property.

I am enjoying the break right now. We have been gathering rocks for use on our property from where we are staying now. The place we are renting they own 36 acres on the side of the mountain, this area is called rockbatter. I fully understand why, there is no mowing, strictly weed eating until you dig about 5 truckloads of rock out of the area you plan to mow.

Inkara1

Why not try dry-farming? I've seen that method used successfully with grapes... and those grapes come out sweeter than regular-farmed grapes.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
My momma's blueberry bush was really our only addition this year...it gave us a couple blueberries but appearently sometimes it takes a few years to get up to speed...and we're still tweaking the soil acidity.

tonksy

Next year should do better, Nix. Lotsa times with perennial plants the first year is spend on building new root structure.