General website/webhosting questions

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
OK, here are some idiot questions coming from the SciTech mod! :)

I do good with general tech stuff... computers, cars, gadgets, etc. I'm fairly clueless though when it comes to the creation and operation of a website.

I'm starting a new business, and naturally will need a website as part of my advertising and to provide general information for potential customers. I know I need to:

(1) Register a domain
(2) Choose a web hosting company
(3) Create the web page(s)

Unfortunately, that's about where my knowledge of these things ends. And like most other things, I've found that asking general questions on web forums is a good way to receive pointers for what to research, who to contact, what books to read, etc.

More specifically, here are the questions related to the three items above:

(Q1) Where do you check to see if a domain is registered? Who do you contact to register one?
(Q2) What web hosting companies have you guys found to be reliable (this is a business, after all), economical, well supported, etc.? What would you recommend for a minimum bandwidth for a fledgling business (I may run a bulletin board as part of customer service/tech support, but probably not right away, and the number of members will likely be small).
(Q3) Who here would like a job creating my website!? Seriously, my interests and hobbies are varied, but learning html, and more importantly learing what attributes make for a well organized and easy to follow website, are not among them. I'd rather pay someone to do the work for me. However, as a startup, hiring a full-on web design company is probably way out of the budget.

Comments, suggestions, demands, questions... all are appreciated.

Mirlyn

outside looking in said:
More specifically, here are the questions related to the three items above:

(Q1) Where do you check to see if a domain is registered? Who do you contact to register one?
Try godaddy.com or awregistry.com. Friends have dealt with GoDaddy and liked it. GoDaddy is cheap ($7?) AWRegistry is more expensive ($35) but worth it IMO. I do business both on the phone and online with them. I like being able to talk to them, but I pay for it. Prices are per year.
(Q2) What web hosting companies have you guys found to be reliable (this is a business, after all), economical, well supported, etc.? What would you recommend for a minimum bandwidth for a fledgling business (I may run a bulletin board as part of customer service/tech support, but probably not right away, and the number of members will likely be small).
Depends on lots of things. What do you want in the way of databases, subdomains, emails, etc. I was with ATLNetworks.com, formerly dellz.com for years. I moved to phpwebhosting.com to get more databases and subdomains. ATL starts at $30/yr for 60megs, unlimited emails, two subdomains, one database, no SSL. They offer more for higher prices. I've yet to see anyone this cheap and be reliable for a good business host. The other option is the one I'm with currently. Unlimited space, unlimited email, unlimited subdomains. ~$10/mo. I would make a list of everything you want before chosing the host. Want a messageboard? You'll need a database. Want to do file hosting? You might need some extra space. Online ordering or some other need for secure connections (SSL)? Thats extra too--to pay for a secure license.

My advice? Start cheap. Go with godaddy, and see what ATL has for you. Hosting for under $100 a year is ideal for businesses not yet sure what they want to do with their site. Realize your potential, and then upgrade to a new/bigger host. :) No use spending too much money, especially for a business.
(Q3) Who here would like a job creating my website!? Seriously, my interests and hobbies are varied, but learning html, and more importantly learing what attributes make for a well organized and easy to follow website, are not among them. I'd rather pay someone to do the work for me. However, as a startup, hiring a full-on web design company is probably way out of the budget.

Comments, suggestions, demands, questions... all are appreciated.
Anyhoo....thats just my two cents. I'm working on my own physical hosting company now...a hell of a lot of work (also working two jobs and full time student), but a lot of fun. :) As soon as this is running, I'll be doing online ordering systems for businesses around here. Already got people asking for stuff (servers/services) that I haven't got working yet. :eek: