Maxtor 60GB ATA100 7200RPM
16x DVD
6424 CDRW
Logitech Cordless Freedom Optical mouse/keyboard
Viewsonic G90f 19"
Altec Lansing ACS54 Speakers

Jas101

Luis G

Remove the Norton's software, step away from the Norton's software and walk away slowly. Never re-install the Norton's software and nobody will get hurt.

That stuff is evil. Will clog your system like hell. The anti-virus is ok(ish). dump the rest. Trust me. d u m p the rest ( if not all of it) . If the "diablo" was to code a piece of software, it'd be called "Symantec Utilities". If Symantec's software was a car, it'd be a 1979 vauxhall viva. If Symantecs software was a dog it'd be called "ol' yella". If Symantecs software was a sandwich, it'd be "mayonaise" flavour.

A friend of mine does their tech support. And even he says "it bites".

Now, If you'll all excuse me , theres a Bel Biv Devoe CD with my name on it.... not literally.... it doesnt actually have my name written on it...... i'm just going to get my groove on.

Peace.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
i like their utilities, although i have none of them running in the background. I'm an ancient user of NU.

Speedisk is very nice, also ndd. Although i hate crash shield (and i didn't install it).

HomeLAN

Thanks, Jas. You're one of the rare folks I run into who agrees with me that Symantec sucks sweaty balls.

Luis G

Staff member
this really catch my attention, why do you guys think that?

i have no crash shield, nor system watch or other crappy programs, however i love NDD and SD, ohhhh and unerase can be handy sometimes.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I too am a fan of Nortons, since Speed Disk came out, I've always used that for my defrag. I don't keep the background stuff running all the time either, and it's really easy to disable it. So what is the problem with it?

Luis G

Staff member
i bet you remember PCTools, compress was also nice, anybody knows what happened to PCTools?

HomeLAN

The fucking thing gets into absolutely everything! Ever tried to completely uninstall the software? Totally strip it out? You'll deal with start-up menus, services, registry entries, the works. If you're not a geek, and you follow their directions, that shit's all over your registry. To me, that's more of a virus then what you're trying to protect against.

I've also seen it conflict with too many programs to mention. God forbid you should EVER try to run another AV software in combination with it. It takes over pieces of yoru start-up and shut-dwon procedures. The damn thing's incredibly pervasive.

I've always been shocked at the number of techs who think it's great stuff.

HomeLAN

Both. That whole suite sucked so bad, I swore off Symantec on general principles. The only thing I do with Symantec is the ocassional visit to sarc.com.

Though i use Nav 2002, i agree it does do alot of stuff to the registry and other areas, i generally do not ever install other utilities other than NAV.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
Only AV here. This is how bad my experience was. I installed utilities and decided against it. Went to un install like they said and POOF i couldnt use half of my software it stripped out dll's like nobody's business. It didnt even ask me if i needed them.
So i had to reformat and reinstall my software. NO MORE utilities for me...