Google Earth

K62

Nixy said:
Dude, you live in Saint John? Do you know where Churchland, Eldersley or Lohanville (or something like that) streets are?

Yupp, smelly ol' Saint John.

Ahh, I see you have been to Saint John before Nix :D
Churchland is going towards the airport, right?

K62

A.B.Normal said:
That is cool ,but like most it gets blurry before any detail is revealed. :crying4:

yeah :(

Some areas have really good detail though! Halifax has amazing detail. I can see the ships I sail on docked in the harbour!

I say give it a few years, and it will be amazing! (or scary)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
K62 said:
Yupp, smelly ol' Saint John.

Ahh, I see you have been to Saint John before Nix :D
Churchland is going towards the airport, right?

No sir, I have not. Although, I have touched soil (and asphalt) from there :D

We're doing some mix designs for recycling of those roads at work :D

A.B.Normal

Nixy said:

So your previous post was a trick question then
Nixy said:
Do you know where Churchland, Eldersley or Lohanville (or something like that) streets are?
As they are no longer in St.John's they're in Waterloo U . :evilcool:

K62

Nixy said:

Damn Ontarioens! ah, Ontarions! err Ontarioers!

Always stealing our east coast streets! :cuss:

:D

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Pretty soon yer lil' province won't be there anymore, we'll have dug it all up to use as paving material :lloyd:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
A.B.Normal said:
So your previous post was a trick question then

As they are no longer in St.John's they're in Waterloo U . :evilcool:

Well, technically only parts of them were taken away...and they were never in St John's...then were in Saint John...and as far as Waterloo U. goes...whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
K62 said:
Damn Ontarioens! ah, Ontarions! err Ontarioers!

Always stealing our east coast streets! :cuss:

:D
But, we'll bring them back and they'll be better than ever!!

Professur

MSN Virtual Earth
By John Oates
Published Monday 25th July 2005 10:26 GMT

Microsoft has launched a beta version of Virtual Earth. Virtual Earth, a bit like the "World Series" is currently limited to North America.

The software looks broadly similiar to Google's version of our planet. Users can switch between maps or photos. One big difference is MSN's version includes software which can tell you where you are - let's be honest we've all had mornings where that would be useful.

Virtual Earth uses Wi-Fi networks to work out your position. A software download will check the nearest three networks and work out your position by triangulating against them. Networks in the US have already been sniffed out and Microsoft is now doing the same for the UK and elsewhere.

Good location information is seen as crucial as internet access becomes increasingly mobile and people search for goods and services available locally.

At the moment pictures are only viewable from directly above. Microsoft says it will have a moveable view, like Google's, in the next release later this year.

Have a play with it here.®
source

Professur

Microsoft's Earth deletes Apple HQ
By John Oates
Published Monday 25th July 2005 13:44 GMT

Not one but two Register readers emailed us to tell us that MSN's Virtual Earth is promoting a world free of the menace of Apple Computers.

If you've got time on your hands - stand up Jens and Stefan - have a look at Apple's Cupertino headquarters from Google and MSN's rival map sites. Both sites offer aerial photos alongside maps. MSN's version is here and Google's is here.

See the difference? Google shows the Apple Cupertino HQ - a lovely, shiny building probably full of iPods. MSN on the other hand shows an apparently empty field. Not as much as a black turtle-necked jumper remains of Apple's headquarters. This could be no more than an old picture taken before Cupertino was built or a glimpse of an imagined future.

How this terrible error came about is not yet clear. Nor can we be certain who else has been removed from Bill's upgraded planet.

Reg reader Michael Sage pointed out that zooming in on the UK will reveal towns like Norwich and Lowestoft long before little old London appears. Is London next to be removed? We need to know.

Even more disturbing MSN's Virtual Earth still shows the twin towers of the World Trade Center in all their pre-9/11 glory.

No comment from Microsoft HQ as yet but we'll keep you posted. ®

Source

Professur

Apple reappears outside Microsoft HQ
By John Oates
Published Wednesday 27th July 2005 14:32 GMT

The mysterious disappearance of Apple's Cupertino headquarters from MSN's new map service led to a veritable landslide of emails.

Some were kind enough to point out that MSN uses old satellite pictures taken before the Apple HQ was built. Some missed the joke and questioned our intelligence and parentage. We were also contacted by several concerned readers who had discovered their garages and even houses were missing from MSN maps.

But one eagle-eyed observer went one better. Andrew Stanley, for it was him, spotted a mutant Apple logo just up the road from Microsoft's Redmond headquarters. The logo, while clearly Apple-shaped, has undergone some startling changes. It is not a happy Apple. To see it for yourself just type "Microsoft, Redmond" into Google Maps and then choose the satellite image option.

The giant logo has been left out in a scruffy looking park and had a miserable grimace added to its face. Whether this was done by angry Microserfs or local kids is unclear at this stage. It could even be extreme marketing to make up for the disappearance of Apple headquarters.

Thanks to Reg reader Andrew Stanley for pointing this one out.®

source

Professur

Microsoft cloaks Area 51
By Lester Haines
Published Wednesday 27th July 2005 13:59 GMT

Black helicopter alert We all know that Microsoft has a tentacle in just about every pie on the planet, but what exactly is Redmond's black ops department up to in Nevada?

This chilling question arises because Microsoft's Virtual Earth has excised all satellite data of the legendary Area 51, leaving a great big grey void filled only with hundreds of hovering black helicopters:

Google, on the other hand, offers this fine view of the Top Secret desert facility, famed for its alien post-mortems, flying saucers and general extraterrestrial shenanigans:

Yup, if you look closely you can just make out what appears to be a heavily-disguised Steve Ballmer wheeling an alien corpse on a gurney from the wreckage of a fission-powered interplanetary craft. Either that or it's some bloke emptying the bins. Further analysis is clearly required.

Until such time as the truth is known, we wonder what exactly MS has to gain from this cloak of invisibity. After all, the internet is chock-full of Area 51 info, maps and satellite images. Try this website, for example - a veritable cornucopia of conspiracy goodies.

And while you peruse this invaluable online resource, keep one eye fixed firmly on the skies. The next unidentified flying object you spot may not be vistors from Alpha Centauri looking for a farm hand to anally probe, but rather the MS X-X-Box, an XP/SP2-controlled stealth vehicle constructed from mysterious yet improbably strong alien alloys and now offering a raft of new and indispensible features for the Office 2003 suite, including the ability to genetically alter Word documents at a sublinear level. ®

source