Google Voice

MrBishop

Well...that's interesting!
If Google search revolutionized the Web, and Gmail revolutionized free e-mail, then one thing’s for sure: Google Voice, unveiled Thursday, will revolutionize telephones.

It unifies your phone numbers, transcribes your voice mail, blocks telemarketers and elevates text messages to first-class communication citizens. And that’s just the warm-up.
Google Voice began life in 2005 as something called GrandCentral. It was, in its own way, revolutionary.

It was intended to solve the headaches of having more than one phone number (home, work, cellphone and so on): Having to check multiple answering machines. Missing calls when people try to reach you on your cell when you’re at home (or the other way around). Sending around e-mail at work that says, “On Thursday from 5 to 8:30, I’ll be on my cell; for the rest of the weekend, call me at home.” And having to change phone numbers when you switched jobs or cities.

GrandCentral’s solution was to offer you a new, single, unified phone number, in an area code of your choice. Whenever somebody dialed your uni-number, all of your phones rang at once.

No longer did people have to track you down by dialing multiple numbers; no matter where you were, your uni-number found you. And all voice mail messages landed in a single voice mail box, on the Web. (You could also dial in to hear them as usual.)
On the Web, you could play back your messages or even download them as audio files to preserve for posterity. You could even ask to be notified of new voice mail by e-mail.
Would this be something you would consider? Sounds great for small businesses and freelancers, but for everyday use?

Hmmm

Dave

I would probably use something like this in everyday life.

If I had one that is....

chcr

Too cute for words
I have our home phone forwarded to my cell and get voice mail as email already.

2minkey

bootlicker
it's not all in the positive column. i for one enjoy a confusing labyrinth of telecom that can make one unreachable and/or provide plausible deniability.

"golly ed, i would have loved to have gone to 80s night with you and your charming wife, but it seems like it's too late to go out this point... wish i had gotten your message sooner."