goth... OOH

ralphie

has anyone else noticed that more and more people are draping themselves in black.

a few sweat bands and a skateboard, and you're a punk rocker?

I look at all the people flooding my chattanooga streets, and I wonder how many of them can actually play a rock instrument or listen to real rock music and not chingy, and "fiddy" cent, the ones considered talented because they can talk fast.

I started to wonder when so many peircing and tattoo places opened around here, until I realized they were all peircing themselves too.

However, I took it upon myself to approach one of them yesterday, while perousing downtown, as my mother shopped for excessive amounts of clothing for my siblings, namely my sister.

So I walk up to one of them, already in my afternoon attire.

Including a pair of bondage pants, a black shirt w/ a fishnet black shirt over it, arm-sox [hehe], and my boots, that are awesome.

OH YAH, and an inverted cross, which I rarely wear. my mommy doesn't like it, but she was being nice to me yesterday...

anyways... so I greeted the stranger with a certain "salutations"

and the look on their face told me they just about wet themselves.

See, the person I had chosen was older than me. 19, maybe? I'm not sure, but he was older. And dressed weird. Very cliché. A vintage t-shirt and "pre-worn" jeans, complete with the proper accesories. I commend the man on knowing how to compliment his wear.

So the minute he saw me, he started to back away, muttering things under his breath. I didn't hear everything, but he made a point of raising his voice to say such words as "goth. freak. satanist."

I replied with a simple "okay... satanist. no cool. that's not what being goth is about... it's about"--

and here, I quote my favorite quote. "Goth is the ability to find the art where art seems to be lacking; to find the light in the darkness and embrace it for all its worth..."

He just looks at me and goes "okay, that was weird."

... now I ask you, had he not begged for it?

I asked him if he too was not wearing attire to embrace this, and he replied "no. I'm punk. not goth"

... what?

so anyways... I've come to the conclusion that the world is crawling with poseurs who need to be shot in the face. any takers?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
yeah, goths and punks surely are poseurs :shrug:

been there done that aboot 20 years ago, and it looks as ridiculous now as it did back then. Groups of the great unwashed all dressing the same to look different *points and laughs* :tardbang:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I am an antichrist
I am an anarchist
Don't know what I want but
I know how to get it
I wanna destroy the passer by cos I

I wanna BE anarchy !

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
PuterTutor said:
I am an antichrist
I am an anarchist
Don't know what I want but
I know how to get it
I wanna destroy the passer by cos I

I wanna BE anarchy !
:lol2:

Gotnolegs

If a 14 year old goth suddenly appeared out of nowhere and started spouting bollocks at me I'd probably react in a similar way to your victim...

I take it you hate to be judged by people that don't take the time to get to know you, give others the same courtesy.

Punk sure isn't what it used to be...

HomeLAN

ralphie said:
has anyone else noticed that more and more people are draping themselves in black.

a few sweat bands and a skateboard, and you're a punk rocker?

I look at all the people flooding my chattanooga streets, and I wonder how many of them can actually play a rock instrument or listen to real rock music and not chingy, and "fiddy" cent, the ones considered talented because they can talk fast.

I started to wonder when so many peircing and tattoo places opened around here, until I realized they were all peircing themselves too.

However, I took it upon myself to approach one of them yesterday, while perousing downtown, as my mother shopped for excessive amounts of clothing for my siblings, namely my sister.

So I walk up to one of them, already in my afternoon attire.

Including a pair of bondage pants, a black shirt w/ a fishnet black shirt over it, arm-sox [hehe], and my boots, that are awesome.

OH YAH, and an inverted cross, which I rarely wear. my mommy doesn't like it, but she was being nice to me yesterday...

anyways... so I greeted the stranger with a certain "salutations"

and the look on their face told me they just about wet themselves.

See, the person I had chosen was older than me. 19, maybe? I'm not sure, but he was older. And dressed weird. Very cliché. A vintage t-shirt and "pre-worn" jeans, complete with the proper accesories. I commend the man on knowing how to compliment his wear.

So the minute he saw me, he started to back away, muttering things under his breath. I didn't hear everything, but he made a point of raising his voice to say such words as "goth. freak. satanist."

I replied with a simple "okay... satanist. no cool. that's not what being goth is about... it's about"--

and here, I quote my favorite quote. "Goth is the ability to find the art where art seems to be lacking; to find the light in the darkness and embrace it for all its worth..."

He just looks at me and goes "okay, that was weird."

... now I ask you, had he not begged for it?

I asked him if he too was not wearing attire to embrace this, and he replied "no. I'm punk. not goth"

... what?

so anyways... I've come to the conclusion that the world is crawling with poseurs who need to be shot in the face. any takers?

In a world full of kids dressed entirely in black and wearing black make-up, I find your last paragraph most interesting.

AlphaTroll

Gonz said:
You've weren't at the Troubador (Gazzaris, Rainbow, etc) during the 80's were you?

Yes, because she had been born by then :rolleyes:

Erm ralphie - you'll find that in the greater scheme of things what people wear & what they claim to be really has no significant bearing on your life. In the end the only one you need to be true to is yourself.

tonksy

ralpie, you shouldn't be concerned with what others do or wear or say...if being goth is you - cool beans...if it isn't- don't do it....people get so caught up in label;s and fads that they forget who they are and what everything means to them...i wear black, i do not tan, i have piercings...call me a goth and i'll laugh at you...i am nothing but myself and that is all anyone should strive to be...labels are for children.

freako104

what I never understood was the whole "clique" thing. for some reason my school didnt really have that and the school I am in now has a bit more of a "clique" thing but again most people are cool but there are judgemental people. i avoid them. most are called elitists. they are more annoying than anything. tonks and AT have it right

Pandora

can i just ask when being goth and punk became a "trend"
wasnt the initial point of being goth and punk was to be different... and get away from the trends...

when did being punk become so... safe...

i mean being goth and punk is not about the way people dress... it's all about their attitudes and their outlook on life...

ralphie

You know, I never much liked sheep.

Now society's taking over their species too!

Poor little woolly things...