goth... OOH

Ms Ann Thrope

Rebellion is a normal part of human development. Every generation creates a style they feel is unique to them and embraces the outrageous. In the 1920s flappers shocked society with bobbed hair and dresses with dropped waists that ended above the knee. After the war, the 1950s brought a return to 'youth culture' with rock'n'roll horrifying parents. At the same time beatniks wore their uniform of all-black topped with a beret. The 60s saw mini-skirts, tie-dye, fringed jackets, bra-less women, see-through dresses and blouses. In the 70s punks reacted by developing their own look: shaved heads or candy-colored mohawks, torn garments held together with safety pins, etc.

EVERY generation has its moment where they believe they are the only seekers of truth. EVERY generation attempts to distance itself from that hateful status quo through their music, their attire, their language. The vast majority don't go beyond the superficial in their rebellion, however, and when confronted with real life choices usually go the way that hateful older generation did. These moments of teen rebellion tend to be about fashion more than social or political revolution. :shrug:

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
my aunt just sent me this...and I thought of this thread

An old man was sitting on a bench at the mall.

A young man walked up to the bench and sat down. He had spiked hair in all different colors: green, red, orange, blue, and yellow.

The old man just stared.

Every time the young man looked, the old man was staring.

The young man finally said sarcastically, "What's the matter old timer, never done anything wild in your life?"

Without batting an eye, the old man replied, "Got drunk once and had sex with a peacock. I was just wondering if you were my son."

:lloyd:

HomeLAN

Leslie said:
my aunt just sent me this...and I thought of this thread

An old man was sitting on a bench at the mall.

A young man walked up to the bench and sat down. He had spiked hair in all different colors: green, red, orange, blue, and yellow.

The old man just stared.

Every time the young man looked, the old man was staring.

The young man finally said sarcastically, "What's the matter old timer, never done anything wild in your life?"

Without batting an eye, the old man replied, "Got drunk once and had sex with a peacock. I was just wondering if you were my son."

:lloyd:

Too damned good! :lol2: *Opens e-mail*

tonksy

paul_valaru said:
we are not neo, we are the originals, jsut reborn

*sits and waits for nirvana...not the band*
whew! i was a little worried that we sucked...oh! and nirvana? either way you'll be waiting awhile :shrug:

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
ralphie said:
I replied with a simple "okay... satanist. no cool. that's not what being goth is about... it's about"--

and here, I quote my favorite quote. "Goth is the ability to find the art where art seems to be lacking; to find the light in the darkness and embrace it for all its worth..."

and i'm 100% sure real goths would laugh their ass off if they read that.
you couldn't be more wrong kiddie....

ralphie

Shadowfax said:

well, then I'm a new brand of artsy little emo kid, because that's what I see it as.

tonksy

ralphie said:
well, then I'm a new brand of artsy little emo kid, because that's what I see it as.
my point...do as you please, you'll find you'll be more satisfied with the results.

MrBishop

Shadowfax said:
The "Real" Goths are dead and have been for several hundred years. The Gothic Era was AD1000-1340 and the clothing, music, art etc...of that era have been Borrowed by todays Goths, Vampires, Punks and Alts. Each group is borrowing it's favorite parts, but it's no real surprise to me that there are some crossovers from one style to the next, in the same way that music styles tend to crossover and borrow from other styles. Just take a look at Evanescence. Listen to their song "My Immortal", and you hear main-stream. Look at their album cover and you might think Goth or Alt, see them on stage and you'd think Metal or Punk....so, what are they?

You tell me?

images

images

BeardofPants

I wear what I want, I listen to what I want, and I believe what I want. :shrug:

Ralphie, that had better not be John Lennon in yer av that you're calling a nerd... :alienhuh:

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
MrBishop said:
The "Real" Goths are dead and have been for several hundred years. The Gothic Era was AD1000-1340 and the clothing, music, art etc...of that era have been Borrowed by todays Goths, Vampires, Punks and Alts. Each group is borrowing it's favorite parts, but it's no real surprise to me that there are some crossovers from one style to the next, in the same way that music styles tend to crossover and borrow from other styles. Just take a look at Evanescence. Listen to their song "My Immortal", and you hear main-stream. Look at their album cover and you might think Goth or Alt, see them on stage and you'd think Metal or Punk....so, what are they?

You tell me?
a feeble marketing machine marketing to as many wannabes as they can?