great new chat program

B

Bubba

found this program while surfing the web:

Easy Message Express 2.2

http://www.webattack.com/features/premiere.php?id=105393&r=h

the thing i like about it is that it retrieves the contact list from the icq servers just like icq does and doesn't have any aol ads

B

Bubba

i haven't used this one for very long, but the big difference seems to be that this chat program can obtain the contact list from the server whereas trillian doesn't in the free version

here is a screenshot: http://www.easymessage.net/contact.jpg

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Trillian gets contacts from the AIM, MSN, and Yahoo server, I think (not sure about yahoo)

But either way, it's pretty easy to back up your contact list with Trillian so you can readd your ICQ contacts if you need to.

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
EasyMessage looks nice...but I only use MSN, so I guess there isn't much of a advantage for me in it..:)

B

Bubba

yeah, i should of said that it is icq that it gets the contact list from the server from

i use icq mostly if i chat

fury

Administrator
Staff member
i should of said that it is icq that it gets the contact list from the server from
You did
it retrieves the contact list from the icq servers just like icq does

Unless you mean it just yanks up the contacts from the ICQ database on your hard drive, in which case Trillian does the same thing.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Bubba said:
the thing i like about it is that it retrieves the contact list from the icq servers just like icq does and doesn't have any aol ads

you can remove the ads from icq, by deleting or renaming some dll files in the ICQ\ directory:
icqate32.dll icqateima32.dll icqateimg32.dll and icqateres.dll

B

Bubba

this program gets the icq contact list from the icq server, i've never had icq installed on this install of windows and the program got my contacts without prompting for them

Luis G

Staff member
yeah, the server side list is a nice feature, but i posted that just in case somebody still wants to use the original icq program and wants to get rid of the ads.

B

Bubba

good point Luis

i forgot to mention that the download on this program is only 200k. it probably has some features of other programs missing, but it's free and easy to use.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
200k is a good deal for something that can do 4 of the 5 services Trillian can do :headbang:

Luis G

Staff member
fury said:
200k is a good deal for something that can do 4 of the 5 services Trillian can do :headbang:

yeah, many programs are bigger because they are bloated with the "looks", the code-part of the program is always smaller.

btw, i'm moving this thread to the Sci/Tech forum, it fits better in that place.

Luis G

Staff member
i just installed EM, and it refuses to log me to icq, i've tried another account i have and no go.

Gaunt

I have Trillian too. It lets me keep track of everyone I know without having to have a million chat programs running.

B

Bubba

Luis G said:
i just installed EM, and it refuses to log me to icq, i've tried another account i have and no go.

are you logged on with any other program at the same time? i'm using it and it works ok ?(

ris

i like trillian, but the stupid skins get on my wick. nowt wrong with grey windows edges for me

Luis G

Staff member
Bubba said:
Luis G said:

are you logged on with any other program at the same time? i'm using it and it works ok ?(

No, i closed both MSN and ICQ, then installed EM, etc......

It logged into MSN fast, but it refused to log into ICQ (yes, i verified my UIN :D )

B

Bubba

don't know what to tell you

i'm using xp home edition, what os are you using?