Greatest mystery of all time...

What is the greatest mystery of all time?

• Why do we exist?

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Does God exist?

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Are we alone in the universe?

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Women

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
My career is computer systems engineering with a specialization in network managment and distributed systems. I'll be completely graduated by may, when i complete my professional service.

I'll focus on network managment, is the most prosperous field in Mexico, and it is also very well paid.

Software development could also be cool, but the software products in here are not very nice, in fact i feel them kind of stupid. And the income you get is not nice.

Ardsgaine

dutchmaster said:
in any event, I don't think #2 can be proved until one dies, as no concrete evidence of his existence is present in the living world.

What more does one need to say he doesn't exist?

unclehobart

The only mysteries are the one men make for themselves out of thin air. Not everything need have a reason for being.

Altron

Luis G said:
Altron said:
You forgot to add computers on your list. By far greatest mystery.

Computers are not a mistery for me, i know how they work at transistor level, which makes logical gates, to more complex circuits like flip flops and latchs. And then the programming languages like assembly, C and C++, OS design, distributed transactions, and a bunch of other stuff that i know i will never use :D

I know some of that kind of stuff too (My uncle knows all that stuff too, and we talk about that stuff a lot)
But you still have to admit that even if you know how every microscopic piece of silicon works, you never know when something will mess up and crash it.

freako104

and i didnt vote cause you left a few out. such as
men
is Pat a man or woman?
why does Primus suck?
what the hell is Ozzy saying anyway???
how did boy bands get so popular by sucking?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Altron said:
But you still have to admit that even if you know how every microscopic piece of silicon works, you never know when something will mess up and crash it.

You can't control most the future.

Aunty Em

dutchmaster said:
I hypothesize we may find life elsewhere in the universe, but thats about it.

I think the question should be, are we likely to recognise it if we ever actually stumble across it, both of which seem pretty unlikely given the odds and our present level of technology.

As to the first question that's pretty obvious, the human race exists to propagate itself and pass on it's genetic code to future generations. Full stop or period, as you americans say.

Ardsgaine

Aunty Em said:
As to the first question that's pretty obvious, the human race exists to propagate itself and pass on it's genetic code to future generations. Full stop or period, as you americans say.

So a person who doesn't have children isn't fulfilling his purpose in life?

Aunty Em

Ardsgaine said:
Aunty Em said:

So a person who doesn't have children isn't fulfilling his purpose in life?

From a biological point of view - absolutely not. I myself am not fullfilling the imperative, my genetic line stops here. The future will not benefit from my unique mix of intelligence, beauty and physical dexterity. :(

Unless someone decides to clone me, of course. :)

dutchmaster

I think there's a much better chance of someone stumbling upon us, although thats highly unlikely as well, unless another civilization has broken the speed of light (probably impossible), or worked around it. Many scientists now discredit the big bang theory because it would have required matter to move at speeds greatly exceeding the speed of light. They now believe our universe was formed by collision between two parallel dimensions :confuse3: so maybe someday we will be able to leap between these sheets of time to find life much closer to home.. i dunno, sort of on a tangent here :D