Haitian Earthquake 2010

MrBishop

The Haitian capital has largely been destroyed in the most powerful earthquake to hit the country in more than 200 years.

Journalists from The Associated Press describe severe and widespread casualties after touring the streets of Port-au-Prince.

The damage is staggering even in a country accustomed to tragedy and disaster. AP reporters said the National Palace is a crumbled ruin and tens of thousands of people are homeless.

Many gravely injured people sit in the street, pleading for doctors many hours after the quake. In public squares thousands of people are singing hymns and holding hands.

The 7.0-magnitude quake struck at 4:53 p.m. Tuesday, leaving large numbers of people unaccounted for.

An aid official described "total disaster and chaos."

Communications were widely disrupted, making it impossible to get a clear picture of damage as powerful aftershocks shook a desperately poor country where many buildings are flimsy. Electricity was out in some places.

Karel Zelenka, a Catholic Relief Services representative in Port-au-Prince, told U.S. colleagues before phone service failed that "there must be thousands of people dead," according to a spokeswoman for the aid group Sara Fajardo.

"He reported that it was just total disaster and chaos, that there were clouds of dust surrounding Port-au-Prince," Fajardo said from the group's offices in Maryland.
Link

Montreal has the largest Haitian population outside of Haiti proper. We're hearing a lot about this.

MrBishop

Presidential palace destroyed
presidential-palac_1558531i.jpg

catocom

meh, not so much.
The real shame is when a woman who has a place over there said...
"don't send donations to the gov.. Send um to a relief org, or Christian group"
The gov. can't be trusted.

valkyrie

I always forget that Haiti shares the island of Hispaniola with the Dominican Republic, which has a healthy economy.
The Dominican Republic
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/dr.html
Haiti
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ha.html

The Dominican Republic felt the earthquake but we are not hearing a lot about them. The fault runs through both countries.

(I was going to post something about the earthquake in KK but this is already here. Thanks, Bish, for getting this posted.)

catocom

Shepard smith on fox showed a clip of Pat Robertson saying some offhanded
stuff about the split, and such, and how we needed to pray for the Haitians,
and why the DR hasn't had it as bad.

I don't know about the history Pat was talking about, but shep shoulda just left it alone.

Shepard Smith has gotten on my nerves for the last time.
I don't know if he's dem, or rep, but he ain't conservative, and don't reflect my views, 90% of the time.
He just gets on my nerves lately.
I'm boycotting him.

valkyrie

Shepard smith on fox showed a clip of Pat Robertson saying some offhanded
stuff about the split, and such, and how we needed to pray for the Haitians,
and why the DR hasn't had it as bad.

I don't know about the history Pat was talking about, but shep shoulda just left it alone.

Shepard Smith has gotten on my nerves for the last time.
I don't know if he's dem, or rep, but he ain't conservative, and don't reflect my views, 90% of the time.
He just gets on my nerves lately.
I'm boycotting him.
First, I don't know who Shepard Smith is so I can't say where he leans politically. Second, if Pat Robertson said something inappropriate then wouldn't it be Pat Robertson's fault and not the person who aired the footage? (Or do they work together, b/c I don't know... really.)

EDIT: OMFG!!! I JUST SAW THIS ON YOUTUBE! PAT ROBERTSON IS A FUCKFACE! How could he say that about the Haitians!?! This is what he said ...
"They (Haitians) were under the heal of the French... you know, Napoleon the third and whatever... and they got together and swore an oath to the devil. They said 'we will serve you if you will get us free from the French.' True story. And so the devil said 'OK it's a deal.' And uh they kicked the French out of you know uh the Haitians revolted and got themselves free. But ever since they've been cursed by one thing after the other. ...."

Mirlyn

First, I don't know who Shepard Smith is so I can't say where he leans politically. Second, if Pat Robertson said something inappropriate then wouldn't it be Pat Robertson's fault and not the person who aired the footage? (Or do they work together, b/c I don't know... really.)

EDIT: OMFG!!! I JUST SAW THIS ON YOUTUBE! PAT ROBERTSON IS A FUCKFACE! How could he say that about the Haitians!?! This is what he said ...
"They (Haitians) were under the heal of the French... you know, Napoleon the third and whatever... and they got together and swore an oath to the devil. They said 'we will serve you if you will get us free from the French.' True story. And so the devil said 'OK it's a deal.' And uh they kicked the French out of you know uh the Haitians revolted and got themselves free. But ever since they've been cursed by one thing after the other. ...."

http://www.breitbart.tv/they-have-been-cursed-pat-robertson-says-haiti-swore-a-pact-to-the-devil/

valkyrie

I love the quote "The Dominican Republic is prosperous, healthy, full of resorts, etc. Haiti is in desperate poverty."

Because what better way to measure a country than the number of resorts.
:-/

Mirlyn

I love the quote "The Dominican Republic is prosperous, healthy, full of resorts, etc. Haiti is in desperate poverty."

Because what better way to measure a country than the number of resorts.
:-/

Kind of like an island "split right down the middle".

Bet his glasses of brandy are "half empty" too.

valkyrie

I've been keeping up with the news on this one. So horrible. Most of these people had little and now they have less than nothing. The dead keep piling up and everyone is desperate for food, clean water and medical attention.

Many countries are sending aid, which includes medical supplies and teams.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/01/14/haiti.aid/index.html?hpt=T2

(The more I think about Pat Robertson the more I wish for his death. He is a bloody cunt.)

MrBishop

"don't be hatin'"
:(

Why not...he's obviously doing it..from his digital pulpit, no less. Haitians made a deal with the devil and that's why they're in trouble again. c'mon!

The man's obviously gone senile...time for some new blood.

catocom

He's sending millions in aid.
It sitting on the runway now in the DR.

He was referring to the gov. I guess, mostly.
I saw nothing of hate in what he said, but to wish someone dead for just speaking their opinion...

Winky

Gawd be hatin’ on the Haitians

You bet he's in the Dominican Republic
cuz the Deevil holds sway on the other side!

MrBishop

Millions don't cut it considering how much he's spent on his last mansion... the 700Club nets several hundred million per year.

catocom

hmm...
The word I'm hearing is there are more dead than alive now.
:(

They are whipped, and I've heard they may be looking for a setup like the Philippians.
They want Major help from the US, and possibly gov. structure help.

2minkey

bootlicker
they need money for relief supplies. just do it. you'll get a nice email if you do.

Dear [2minkey],
Thank you for your contribution to the Clinton Foundation for our Haiti Relief Fund.

Your gift will help save lives and help Haiti rebuild in the aftermath of the 7.0-magnitude earthquake.

We hope you'll encourage others to join in our efforts. Please invite them to donate at http://www.clintonfoundation.org/haitirelief.

Sincerely,
Bruce R. Lindsey
Chief Executive Officer
William J. Clinton Foundation

Gift Amount: $100.00
Gift Date: 1/13/2010