Harvard Rethinks Sexual Misconduct

greenfreak

BOSTON (AP) -- Harvard professor Everett Mendelsohn didn't hesitate to vote for a change in the student handbook making those who allege being victims of sexual misconduct provide witnesses or evidence up front before the school launches an investigation.

After all, colleagues had already approved the change, and there seemed to be more pressing issues before the faculty.

So Mendelsohn, along with about 120 other Harvard faculty members on May 7, quickly and without objection changed how the university handles sexual misconduct claims -- and inadvertently sparked a firestorm of protest and controversy.

Under the old policy, the school would automatically look into any claim of a peer dispute, including a sexual assault. The May 7 change mandates anyone filing a dispute complaint provide "sufficient independent corroboration" of misconduct before the school investigates.

The new policy -- believed by some to be the first such requirement in the nation -- sparked soul-searching among faculty who approved it, a protest from angry students and women's groups, and fierce debate over Harvard's responsibility to investigate difficult-to-prove claims.

Full story: CNN

First thing I thought of was that they had so many of these cases or that they were inundated with false statements of sexual misconduct or theft, etc. that they decided to say "Prove it" before they looked into it.

But the article goes on to say that they had only 7 cases in the last school year.

I don't understand why it's such a burden for them to investigate every claim, whether proof is provided or not? If it was out of hand, with hundreds of false cases, I could see the reason the considered this but seven?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
It sounds stupid, however, sexual assault victims should go to the police instead.

A false claim, should also be punished.

ris

perhaps it will make those wanting to persue a false claim think twice. however, it will make genuine claims feel victimised, always a tricky path to pick

freako104

as i said on jjr512, i believe they should be investigated but the reason more likely is money.i would like to think that any campus is safe from things such as assault sexual or otherwise or anything else. and i think its sad they wont investigate to see if the claims are real or not. and im even sadder that if they are real they could happen again by the same person. i wonder if the victims will go to the cops because maybe then but only maybe it will be investigated and the perpetrator will be punished.