HD DVD on life support ...

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
The PS3 might be a better choice for those who want a Blu-ray player and the occasional game.

For those who want to play games and have the bonus of a Blu-ray player, I wouldn't recommend it that much. Games for the PS3 are more expensive and scarcer than those for the 360.

JJR512

If "pushing" to you means saying there's nothing wrong with something, then fine, I was pushing LD nearly eight years ago.

I'm not going to get into another semantics debate, but to me, "pushing" means trying to persuade people to get something, extolling its virtues, saying it's better than everything else, it makes the most sense, etc. Car salesmen are pushers because they don't tell you the car they want you to buy is OK; instead, they tell you it's the best car for you to buy.

Despite whatever I may have said nearly eight years ago (sorry I didn't remember that particular conversation), I would not recommend (and/or push) LDs at all today. Unless someone specifically wants some of the collectible sets or specific titles that aren't available on any other disc format, there is no reason to even think about LD. For those specific scenarios, LD would be their only choice, and it's for them to make, not something I would push on them.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I heard that Walmart is going purely Blu Ray...I dunno if the person I heard it from was confused and meant they were gonna stop carrying HD DVD (which is a given with Toshiba putting that to bed)...but they made it sound like they were going to stop carrying DVDs too (although, they still do...or did until recently...carry VHS so I think the person was mistaken).

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Yep. The PS3 was the main contributer. Sony practically gave away Blu-Ray players with the system, thus creating a market for their product. Oh well...looks like I can buy a format without worries, then.

Inkara1

Interesting how the head of the Playstation division had to "resign" because of the dismal initial sales of the PS3 a while back, yet the PS3 is a big part of what will surely be a financial bonanza for Sony... which makes it pretty successful if you ask me.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Interesting how the head of the Playstation division had to "resign" because of the dismal initial sales of the PS3 a while back, yet the PS3 is a big part of what will surely be a financial bonanza for Sony... which makes it pretty successful if you ask me.

Yeah...I can't help but wonder what the market would've been like if the XBOX 360 had a 'free' built-in HD DVD player...

A.B.Normal

Found a link, and I think it means Blu-Ray will be the only hi def format Walmart will stock...the lady obviously didn't know what she was talking about (which if I had to bet money on it would have been my guess...based on how she came across)

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,23245040-15306,00.html

or you coulda just clicked the link in my original post:angel:

In what is being seen as the death blow for HD DVD, retail giant Wal-Mart has chosen to go Blu-ray only.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
She likes it hard, all right... :D

Oh come on...I set that one up SO perfectly (and knew I was setting it up when I was typing the message)...you coulda let someone else take a stab at it, we all knew you'd get it :p