Help for 9 yr old rape victim reaps excommunication

valkyrie

BBC: Rape Row Sparks Excommunications
By Gary Duffy
BBC News, Sao Paulo
16:31 GMT, Thursday, 5 March 2009

A Brazilian archbishop says all those who helped a child rape victim secure an abortion are to be excommunicated from the Catholic Church.

The girl, aged nine, who lives in the north-eastern state of Pernambuco, became pregnant with twins.

It is alleged that she had been sexually assaulted over a number of years by her stepfather.

The excommunication applies to the child's mother and the doctors involved in the procedure.

The pregnancy was terminated on Wednesday.

Abortion is only permitted in Brazil in cases of rape and where the mother's life is at risk and doctors say the girl's case met both these conditions.

Police believe that the girl at the centre of the case had been sexually abused by her step-father since she was six years old.

The fact that she was pregnant with twins was only discovered after she was taken to hospital in Pernambuco complaining of stomach pains.

Her stepfather was arrested last week, allegedly as he tried to escape to another region of the country.

He is also suspected of abusing the girl's physically handicapped older sister who is now 14.

Intervention bid

The Catholic Church tried to intervene to prevent the abortion going ahead but the procedure was carried out on Wednesday.

Now a Church spokesman says all those involved, including the child's mother and the doctors, are to be excommunicated.

The Archbishop of Olinda and Recife, Jose Cardoso Sobrinho, told Brazil's TV Globo that the law of God was above any human law.

He said the excommunication would not apply to the child because of her age, but would affect all those who ensured the abortion was carried out.

However, doctors at the hospital said they had to take account of the welfare of the girl, and that she was so small that her uterus did not have the ability to contain one child let alone two.

While the action of the Church in opposing an abortion for a young rape victim is not unprecedented, it has attracted criticism from women's rights groups in Brazil.
Anti-abortion activists gone too far? I think so.

2minkey

bootlicker
yes. and fuck anyone whose bullshit moralizing steamrolls the dignity of others.

but let's not forget, what big daddy told us millennia ago...

YOU MUST REPRODUCE!

it's your role in life, girly. that's what you's made for!

Oh yes and of course what we need more than anything is strong male genes to be passed on and what is more ideal than a rapist?

catocom

Things like this are why I tell the children here to question,
don't follow blindly.

Trust, but verify.

In this age, some things/people are not as they appear.
Some are misguided.

Professur

Well, if the chest thumping is done .... I gotta ask who all the venom is for? This isn't a new stand for the Catholic church. Abortion has always been a bootable offence. And it isn't like anyone who helped is really concerned about being excommunicated .... if they had any belief in God, they wouldn't be on that side of the fence to begin with. This is simply the Church carrying out it's policy ... and reporters sensationalizing it as usual.

It is one thing if an American is excommunicated, and quite another for a Brazilian. Here the child has other options. In Brazil just about everyone is Catholic. Now this child is essentially a non-person. I don't have a problem with the Catholic church most of the time, but in this case I think they are wrong.

Professur

It is one thing if an American is excommunicated, and quite another for a Brazilian. Here the child has other options. In Brazil just about everyone claims to be Catholic. Now this child is essentially a non-person. I don't have a problem with the Catholic church most of the time, but in this case I think they are wrong.

Fixed it for ya. As I said, a true Catholic would never have considered this in the first place.

Lemme ask you this. If a parent is murdered, does giving the murderer the death penalty really benefit the child? No, of course it doesn't. Does giving this child an abortion remove the pain of being raped? Nope.
Now, her parents (and those around her) had two options. Regard the baby as an abomination, or regard it as a child ... a gift. They chose the former. A true Christian would have chosen the latter.

And IMNSHO, this child, if she's truely being brought up Christian, will be far more damaged by this than by the rape. Women are raped daily the world over, and most of them brush themselves off afterwards and go home and cook dinner. Westerners (europeans) have made rape the (tragedy) crime is it, not biology. Destroying your own child, on the other hand, is regarded as immoral even by cats and dogs.

Does that mean I don't feel for the girl? Don't be silly. I'm as outraged as everyone else. I'd like to see the step father hung from a tree by his testicles and left to the vultures. I wish there was a way to make it all unhappen. but I can't, anymore than I can give a child back his murdered father. But as with that child, life goes on, and trying to erase the evidence of the crime doesn't negate it. All they've done is give this child even more to regret in the future.

2minkey

bootlicker
And IMNSHO, this child, if she's truely being brought up Christian.

wow that will be helpful for her in dealing with the real world.

you can rationalize it any way you want. go ahead and keep your values in a time and place where you could club women over the head and drag them back to your cave. the 21st century isn't for everyone.

valkyrie

Fixed it for ya. As I said, a true Catholic would never have considered this in the first place.

Lemme ask you this. If a parent is murdered, does giving the murderer the death penalty really benefit the child? No, of course it doesn't. Does giving this child an abortion remove the pain of being raped? Nope.
Now, her parents (and those around her) had two options. Regard the baby as an abomination, or regard it as a child ... a gift. They chose the former. A true Christian would have chosen the latter.

And IMNSHO, this child, if she's truely being brought up Christian, will be far more damaged by this than by the rape. Women are raped daily the world over, and most of them brush themselves off afterwards and go home and cook dinner. Westerners (europeans) have made rape the (tragedy) crime is it, not biology. Destroying your own child, on the other hand, is regarded as immoral even by cats and dogs.

Does that mean I don't feel for the girl? Don't be silly. I'm as outraged as everyone else. I'd like to see the step father hung from a tree by his testicles and left to the vultures. I wish there was a way to make it all unhappen. but I can't, anymore than I can give a child back his murdered father. But as with that child, life goes on, and trying to erase the evidence of the crime doesn't negate it. All they've done is give this child even more to regret in the future.
I don't think you read the article all the way through. She is 9 years old, pregnant with twins (from the rape). Her uterus is not large enough to sustain one fetus to full size, let alone 2. But that's cool... her death would have been a "gift" from the almighty.

The abortion was performed TO SAVE HER LIFE... not to help her adjust to the 3 years of rape by her stepfather. The mother and the doctors who saved her life were excommunicated for SAVING HER LIFE.

Some day, I hope you experience being raped... I want you to let us know if you just brush it off, go home and cook dinner. You let us know how that works out for you.

BlurOfSerenity

holy shit.

what i love best is this part:
"The Archbishop of Olinda and Recife, Jose Cardoso Sobrinho, told Brazil's TV Globo that the law of God was above any human law."

there you go, sweetie. god got you raped and pregnant with twins that would rupture your uterus and kill you. all part of his plan, you see.
(the things we teach children!!)

(ETA: ftr, i'm not one of those people who's all like, "how can i believe in god in a world where [insert tragedy here] is allowed to happen!" because i believe that everything happens for a reason and all that... but it just astounds me that this could happen and she could be expected to have a love for god after basically being told that god is why this happened... if that makes any sense)