Help?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I have a speech to write.

This is my thesis: The recording industry's battle against file sharing is harming itself more than it is helping.

or: The recording industry is taking its battle against file sharing too far.

I need help coming up with points to argue on.

:lloyd:

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Why is it harming itself more than it is helping?
What's the effect they are causing on users by taking this too far?
Is fear enough of a motivation to stop sharing? or does it encourages the activity?, perhaps some background on older technologies.
Is the music industry not on par with current user demands?, perhaps an ad based music system, or free promos would help them, an easy and cheap per song downloading system.

Why do users download illegal music instead of buying it other than because they are cheap sobs?

tonksy

here are some pro's to filesharing:
1. you can reach a wider audience of listeners. for example, i have become a huge fan of a band called space (english) that i never would have heard of without filesharing...and i am actively looking to buy their CD's (if i can find them for less than $30 on ebay).
2. file sharing allows the consumer to sample tracks off a cd without having to purchase it first...sort of a test drive.
3. even if the consumer that samples the music never purchases the cd they have still been exposed to the music and may be more inclined to purchase concert tickets and/or merchandise.
4. poor people can still enjoy music. :)

there are many con's, i know but filesharing will never go away...the best we can do is find a compromise between the artists, the fans, and the recording industry.

IDLEchild

fury said:
I have a speech to write.

This is my thesis: The recording industry's battle against file sharing is harming itself more than it is helping.

or: The recording industry is taking its battle against file sharing too far.

I need help coming up with points to argue on.

:lloyd:

They aren't exploring this new venue.
They are using fear as a tactic which turns listeners away from the right path.
Most albums are fillers...quality control is needed.
Music is run by those who have no idea what music is.
Too expensive for too little.
Apple has taken the first right step towards this where as other companies refuse to change.
They are fighting a system thats here to stay. There is nothing stronger than an idea whose time has come.
They are using petty tactics to end this problem (like suing a 12 year old girl) which means they are completely clueless about this.

and the last thing Luis said.

Inkara1

One thing the RIAA cites is the decline of sales of CDs in bricks-and-mortar CD stores. How much is the decline? What's the rate of decline or rise in sales from retailers such as Amazon? Are total sales, from the internet and from stores combined, up or down?

habanero

A recent Harvard study shows that file sharing does not hurt cd sales.

"While a full explanation for the recent decline in record sales is beyond the scope of this analysis, several plausible candidates exist. These alternative factors include poor macroeconomic conditions, a reduction in the number of album releases, growing competition from other forms of entertainment such as video games and DVDs".

The researchers also pointed at the tidal wave of media company consolidation that's been taking place worldwide. This has led to identi-kit playlists and radio stations that UK live music Tsar Fergal Sharkey told a lecture at the Royal Society "target teenage girls exclusively".

They describe the effects of such consolidation as: "A reduction in music variety stemming from the large consolidation in radio along with the rise of independent promoter fees to gain airplay, and possibly a consumer backlash against record industry tactics."

Also, the CD sale boom of the late 80's and 90's was also due to Baby Boomers buying cd's to replace vinyl recordings.

Finding a functional needle to play vinyl records, is almost like searching for WMD's.

[sub]I know about laser turntables, but how many people have 8k laying around to get one.[/sub]

Inkara1

If that's the case, I guess we should disarm all the Guitar Center stores. That's where I bought my stylus at.

Frozzy

The only opinion I can come up with the recording industry is now more unpopular, but at the end of the day if File Sharing goes under, there is really little Joe Public can do but pour more into the recording industry's coffers.

A.B.Normal

Frozzy said:
The only opinion I can come up with the recording industry is now more unpopular, but at the end of the day if File Sharing goes under, there is really little Joe Public can do but pour more into the recording industry's coffers.

Thats the thing though ,the RIAA is sueing people for more money than they ever would have spent or been able to spend i.e. the girl who was charged in the first round had $12,000+ in music according to the RIAA ,but being the nice people they are they settled for $3000-$4000 now would a 12 year old ever be able to purchase $3000+ in music. If all the P2Ps disappeared tomorrow the girl would only have been able to spend, maybe $300 ??? even if you remove court costs the RIAA is making more money if people d/l than they ever would have if P2Ps never ewxisted.

fury,
In my view the RIAA has over stepped the pounds by saying that their losses are dollar for dollar d/l versus purchase price ,they even went before the lawmakers and were given the powers they now have, based on that "soft math".