Here's an off the wall question about 1981 Technology....

markjs

Banned
I have a 1981 Toyota SR5 1/2 ton longbed 2WD pickup with 22R, and 5 speed manual tansmission. Right now it seems that highway and city combined driving (I prolly do slightly more city driving) that I am getting about 20MPG is that about right?

Depends on the city, I'd imagine. The Venture I drive for work get's anywhere between 400 to 650 km per tank, depending on the day to day traffic.

About how much time do you spend sitting idling?

:D Seriously..I wouldn't complain with 20mpg on a vehicle that old. Those toyotas and nissans really give thier money's worth, eh? How many miles are on it?

Squiggy said:
:D Seriously..I wouldn't complain with 20mpg on a vehicle that old. Those toyotas and nissans really give thier money's worth, eh? How many miles are on it?

I am going to hazard a guess and say there is little over 100K miles on it being as it has the American style 5 digit odometer and it burns no oil and really runs very well. Knowing how good of an engine the 22R is though there could well be over 200K miles on it.

Yeah, it could easily be 200K, those things last forever. I'd say 20 mpg is okay for one that old. Compression probably ain't what it used to be, and the carb probably isn't as tight as when it was new. Even so, it probably never got more thn 26 or so.

I had an '81 Honda Accord that got like 20-22 in the city and 25-28 on the highway with a 1.8L engine. It got better when I first had it, but in June of '02 it suddenly dropped a few miles to the gallon. I think that might be when the brake calipers started sticking, resulting in brake pad life of 5000-7000 miles. I also lost 3 miles to the gallon when I got wider tires (I researched to make sure the sidewall height was the same so as not to throw off the speedometer).

20's not too bad for a truck that old. There are things you could probably do to it to get better mileage though, like tires with lower rolling resistance, taking the ton of concrete out of the back, making sure the front end's aligned, keeping the air filter clean, etc.

Actually I am getting over 20 in combined driving...I filled today and recalculated. I think I am getting nearly 25 on the highway :) Maybe 20 in town.

It was a $700 truck that I paid for with a computer and a bunch of work on the guys next computer. I gotta like that, my total cash outlay was like $180.

markjs said:
It was a $700 truck that I paid for with a computer and a bunch of work on the guys next computer. I gotta like that, my total cash outlay was like $180.

dang, you made out like a bandit on that deal.

markjs said:
Actually I am getting over 20 in combined driving...I filled today and recalculated. I think I am getting nearly 25 on the highway :) Maybe 20 in town.

That's great mileage for a carbureted motor with truck gearing.

Back